plans for picnic table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sawdust13
Silver Member

plans for picnic table

Post by sawdust13 »

I saw plans for a fold up picnic table flat folds against a wall? Has anyone seen plans for this Also somebody made a stand up shopsmith drill press permanent stand? Has anybody seen either of these.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

That is pretty slick
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Looks nice folded up too, nice geometric patterns. IMHO
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

But sadly...no plans ...Read the comments...
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Ya got 2 pics thats all you need, get the pencil, paper ruler out and start drawing. I give you a start, benches 3 boards 4-5" wide, 3/8" space between them, 7-8' long, table 4 boards 8-10" wide 1/4 space, same length, frame size is to fit your benches and table top, measure a chair seat and table top of your indoor furniture, benches are usually 1-2" lower table heights are between 31-33" high. Draw it up yourself and most time you wont need to look at the finished plan because its in your head. I hear I forget, I see I know, I do I understand. Every thing you needed were in those 2 pics if you looked at what is around them, and the benches and table itself.
Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

rbursek wrote:Ya got 2 pics thats all you need, get the pencil, paper ruler out and start drawing. I give you a start, benches 3 boards 4-5" wide, 3/8" space between them, 7-8' long, table 4 boards 8-10" wide 1/4 space, same length, frame size is to fit your benches and table top, measure a chair seat and table top of your indoor furniture, benches are usually 1-2" lower table heights are between 31-33" high. Draw it up yourself and most time you wont need to look at the finished plan because its in your head. I hear I forget, I see I know, I do I understand. Every thing you needed were in those 2 pics if you looked at what is around them, and the benches and table itself.
Bob
Well then, Bob, maybe you can answer some of my questions! ;)

The designer did a good job of hiding the hardware. It appears to me that all five X-shaped legs must be hinged to the underside of the table and bench, such that the hinges are hidden when in the stowed position. But I can't see any kind of brace to lock the legs in the down position for use. So I assume that the wall ends of the benches and table must all be anchored to the wall bracket when in use -- or else the things could just collapse.

1. If true, how are the ends anchored to the wall bracket? They can't be permanently pinned, because when stowed, the ends are at a different position on the bracket.

2. In the stowed position, it looks like gravity would want to make the lower bench legs fall open. What do you suppose prevents this? A magnetic latch, perhaps?
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I dont have all the details, those details are minor, magnets maybe, how about a pin that goes into a spring catch, there so many types of fastening/hinging devices out there now. Looks like the table may have a pin in each end that slides in the frame, it could be spring loaded and when in the horizontal position extend into a hole in the vertical frame. Now bench legs are a thought, your right they show no type of bracing. If I made it I would have bracing for at least the far legs if the bench is not supported at the wall, both legs and even the table, but those are minor hardware items. Anything from a toy chest lid extension arm to ones for folding tables. I was discussing the overall dimensions, the picture heights, plant height, knowing how high and wide tables are usually built to, as well as chair seat heights and depth. A bit of thought and research would handle the rest.