Help for New and Old Woodturners

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flashbacpt
Gold Member

Help for New and Old Woodturners

Post by flashbacpt »

Hi Everyone,
I have not posted in a while but came back this morning, and read several posts dealing with turning, and various problems experienced by members of this forum.

Several weeks ago, I learned that James (Jim) Rodgers, founder of the Mount Diablo Woodturning Center, that teaches woodturning at the Mount Diablo School district in Pleasant Hill, Ca., a member of the Bay Area Woodturners, American Craft Council, and the American Association of Woodturners published a book for woodturners called "A Lesson Plan for Wood Turning."

I have taken a few wood turning classes taught by Mr. Rodgers and found him to be a great instructor in so many ways. Needless to say, I purchased his book from Amazon ($20), and found it to be very informative.

He covers everything from how to use various turning tools, sharpening them, turning between centers, bowl turning, face plate turning, working with green wood, turning platters, turning natural edge bowls, lathe care, and gives step by step instructions for several different wood turning projects.

It is a book "chuck filled" with usefull information for all levels of woodturners, especially for folks interested in getting started.

Please don't construe this as a "sales pitch" (not my intention) but as a source of valuable information for those individuals that are looking for help in the wood turning area.:)

John
FlashbacPT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Intention understood and appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Welcome 'back'!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Thanks for the tip - I just added it to my Amazon wish list. Looks like they have it for $15.15 and it's a prime item, so free 2-day shipping for prime members...seems like a good deal and worthwhile read. Here's a link for those interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Lesson-Plan-Woodturning-Step---Step/dp/1610351819/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397839710&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=A+Lesson+Plan+for+Wood+Turning
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

You can also purchase this book in electronic form for tablets, etc. through Kindle for $9.99. Thought you all will like to know this.:D
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Thanks. I needed that. :) Now have that on my Wish List.
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Fantastic timing for me, thank you! I'm in the bay area as well, Berkeley, so it is also great to learn about teachers and groups nearby.
Greenie (no serial #), 82 Mark V 500 serial #128648, ci bandsaw, old jigsaw, planer. All one buy in March 2014. Magna Jointer added Nov. '14. Speed reducer, conical disk and two bearing quill upgrade.
jerm
Gold Member

Post by jerm »

Thanks for this, always nice to get a tip on good information.

In fact, I came here to post some questions on specific turning questions, but I might get this book instead as a reference :)