Lufkin Red End Folding Ruler

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Lufkin Red End Folding Ruler

Post by tomsalwasser »

Sometimes the old tools are the best. Long ago I purchased this folding ruler and never once used it, until a few days ago. I know you guys don't do that but sadly, more times than I care to admit, I buy a tool that I just don't use. As I was doing inside measurements of the openings in our kitchen cabinets with a tape measure, for some reason it popped into my head to grab the folding ruler. Normally if I don't use a tool for a while I lose it. Fortunately this one was sitting in the top drawer of my tool box. I was happy to have the folding ruler because it stayed rigid and made it easy to get an inside dimension by placing one end on the inside edge and the other end on the face of the cabinet frame. Then I noticed the metal extending edge, which allowed me to place the entire ruler inside the face frame and extend the metal edge to get a precise measurement. Very slick indeed.

steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

My Dad always used one too...
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I still use my folder. Great tool especially for inside measurements as pictured above.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I have been using one of those (I've owned many) for over 50 years. Can't beat it!
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Add the 'detail' that it does not turn into a limp noodle even up to full length if held properly and the joints are tight.

Just keep them out of the hands of juveniles!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

When my Dad died in 1977, I inherited his woodworking and mechanic tools. His Lufkin folding rule is on my workbench and I use it almost every time I work in The Woodshop Below.
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I just check the Lufkin site and the still make it ... It is available on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

S Brian wrote:When my Dad died in 1977, I inherited his woodworking and mechanic tools. His Lufkin folding rule is on my workbench and I use it almost every time I work in The Woodshop Below.
Below what????????????:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

I doubt this will be quite considered about woodworking, but I used to enjoy using one of these to tap someone on the shoulder from a distance and watch 'em leap 10 ft. from fright.

A female cousin once pummeled me to a giggling heap for that.

Still keep one handy, but to better purpose of course. :)
Ah, sweet memories of youth.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I just purchased another Luftkin that is a "flat" reading foldout. Really neat in that you can lay it flat on a surface rather than having the majority of the folded ruler underneath the part of the ruler doing the reading ( if that makes sense)