Saving your Smopsmith and LOTS more. I HATE thieves

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

Saving your Smopsmith and LOTS more. I HATE thieves

Post by benush26 »

A friend sent me these two videos on how thieves can break into a garage and then a solution in the second video.

Thought I'd pass them along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Scary how easy it is!!

Be well, Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not going to work on my door. I don't have an opener so no release bar....

Ed
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

My door overlaps the header and I don't think it would work on mine
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

If a thief want's in your garage, he will find a way to pick the lock or go thru the house if it's attached. I have motion detectors and a camera in my garage which sends a text message to my phone if someone enters and I can bring up the camera image on my phone to see who's in there, all in a matter of seconds. They are wireless and battery operated, sends a message via a phone call from the device itself no telephone wires to cut or power to disrupt. All for less than $300 and $15 per month for 5 cameras and 7 motion detectors. And the best part is there is no contract. I can cancel anytime.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

Thank you for this...it would easily work on mine =(

Something most people never even think about.
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

fredsheldon wrote:If a thief want's in your garage, he will find a way to pick the lock or go thru the house if it's attached. I have motion detectors and a camera in my garage which sends a text message to my phone if someone enters and I can bring up the camera image on my phone to see who's in there, all in a matter of seconds. They are wireless and battery operated, sends a message via a phone call from the device itself no telephone wires to cut or power to disrupt. All for less than $300 and $15 per month for 5 cameras and 7 motion detectors. And the best part is there is no contract. I can cancel anytime.
Fred - I'm intrigued by this possibility - do you have any more info on this system and where to get it etc?
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
2centsworth
Gold Member

Zip Tie...

Post by 2centsworth »

Just installed my zip tie. Thank You priceless info. :D
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
2centsworth
Gold Member

It wasn't me....

Post by 2centsworth »

It only looks like me Fred. Seriously they say everyone has a double. I was somewhere else. You have so much stuff it would take half a day to load it on the get-a-way truck ! LOL :p

fredsheldon wrote:If a thief want's in your garage, he will find a way to pick the lock or go thru the house if it's attached. I have motion detectors and a camera in my garage which sends a text message to my phone if someone enters and I can bring up the camera image on my phone to see who's in there, all in a matter of seconds. They are wireless and battery operated, sends a message via a phone call from the device itself no telephone wires to cut or power to disrupt. All for less than $300 and $15 per month for 5 cameras and 7 motion detectors. And the best part is there is no contract. I can cancel anytime.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

::::: the newbie lurks in the bushes feigning disinterest but actually waiting for the discussion to attain a fevered uproar. At which point he’ll seek a fissure through which a 10ER might be winkled from the melee::::
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

After the earthquake, when my house caught on fire, the fired department dropped by locked, jammed garage door in a matter of seconds with a portable skill-saw. Granted, they had like a 14" or 18" blade, but I bet a burglar with a battery operated sawsall could gain access in a matter of moments.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA