New (old) Shop Smith owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

teacherman
Gold Member

New (old) Shop Smith owner

Post by teacherman »

Hello, I just joined this forum. I remember my father had a Shop Smith in his garage when I visited him as a teenager. I ran across a Mark V the other day for $200, and it is now in my garage. Once I pulled off the jointer and table saw parts, I was actually able to carry it myself, but it was a snap for two people. I have always wanted a lathe and a horizontal boring machine, and this thing looks to have been used very little. The manual looks like a reproduction of the original, right down to the mfr. of Magna lube being listed as Standard Oil of California. A handwritten note says the machine is a model 620, but I don't think that exists. Serial # is 328905.

I hear these are some really good tools, but it looks a bit complex. The insulation on the cord is cracked, and this is the first order of business.

It has the tail stock, but I have not found the 4 bladed head stock attachment for the lathe. Are parts still available? I heard the company went out of business in 2009, and I am leery of Chinese aftermarket anything. I will post pics of this machine tomorrow.

I am looking forward to building some cabinet doors and a toddler bed for starters.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Yes Shopsmith still exist, you are on a forum provided by Shopsmith.
Welcome to this forum and you will find lots of information on this forum and lots of people who will probably will be able to help you a bit more than me.
Good luck in your quest.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

teacherman wrote:Hello, I just joined this forum. WELCOME! I remember my father had a Shop Smith in his garage when I visited him as a teenager. I ran across a Mark V the other day for $200, and it is now in my garage. Once I pulled off the jointer and table saw parts, I was actually able to carry it myself, but it was a snap for two people. I have always wanted a lathe and a horizontal boring machine, and this thing looks to have been used very little. The manual looks like a reproduction of the original, right down to the mfr. of Magna lube being listed as Standard Oil of California. A handwritten note says the machine is a model 620 JOINTER?, but I don't think that exists. Serial # is 328905.

I hear these are some really good tools, but it looks a bit complex. The insulation on the cord is cracked, and this is the first order of business.

It has the tail stock, but I have not found the 4 bladed head stock attachment for the lathe. Are parts still available? I heard the company went out of business in 2009 Not quite, and I am leery of Chinese aftermarket anything. I will post pics of this machine tomorrow.

I am looking forward to building some cabinet doors and a toddler bed for starters.

From the SN it should be green and 'silver' and be a Mark 5 from the mid 50's.

That would make it a 'Gilmer drive' with a 3/4 hp motor.

As such not all stuff is still available, but it is upgradable to the newer poly-v drive albiet $$$$$$$$$$$$!:eek:

Almost everything else is still supported by 'SS'.

As for 2009, Shopsmith Inc. reorganized as RLF Tools, Inc. and became the fifth corporate identity to manufacture this beast, and recently 'released' a new motor(power pro) and model(Model 7).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
2centsworth
Gold Member

Welcome.....

Post by 2centsworth »

Welcome to the forum second best decision you have made lately. First the shopsmith and second joining the forum. Best darn bunch of people you will ever meet. Ask any and all questions, most everyone can help or knows someone who can. Where are you located. Once we know we should be able to find someone in your area to support you and maybe close enough for you to visit.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome tothe forum Teacherman. Here's ShopSmith main web page.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/index.htm

Also their sawdust session.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Just be careful. The Shopsmith is additive. There are lots of upgrades and add-ons, and with it's reasonably small profile it will soon become your favorite go to tool. Welcome to the forum.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Welcome Teacherman! Looking forward to seeing your cabinets, but first make sure all lubrication has been done and make sure you have all the safety parts. For example splitter or riving knife. Even the upper and lower saw guards.

Don't forget to check or do the alignment of the saw table with the blade and alignment of the rip fence.\

Here's the "4 bladed" lathe drive center - http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... enters.htm

Best Wishes!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
greg1m53
Gold Member

A Big Welcome

Post by greg1m53 »

Hello
You are going to find this the best place for answers about your shopsmith!!
There are just the greatest people here for all kinds of problems.
Take your time and enjoy the best American built multi tool ever.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

teacherman wrote: I hear these are some really good tools, but it looks a bit complex. The insulation on the cord is cracked, and this is the first order of business.
Welcome Teacher,

Yes, the SS is a great tool. Complex? No.

I didn’t know diddly about the Shopsmith a year ago. A coworker mentioned it to me and the next thing you know I got an old greenie in the basement.

I’d also earlier purchased a couple of other near rusted out machines. They were still sitting there when the SS arrived. Much to my surprise, with the help of folks here, and discs from fella name of Anderson, I got that SS cleaned up. The experience so informed me that I soon fixed the others too.

The Shopsmith is sort of genius in its simplicity. Getting it running smooth will be easier than you might think and you’ll soon find yourself able to almost sense what ails any broken machine you lay eyes on.

I had to put a hold on to keep from clearing out every machine I found in local junk yards.

Cracked power cord… pffft… If that’s the worst of it you’ll be building those cabinets and crib very soon.

Enjoy! :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote: . . .

Cracked power cord… pffft… If that’s the worst of it you’ll be building those cabinets and crib very soon.

Enjoy! :)

Interesting choice of sound effects!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange