Power Pro upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

Power Pro upgrade

Post by dgreen810 »

I would like a few thoughts. I just ordered an upgrade through Lowes and would like what others might think. I have two head stocks, the one I purchased with my original Mark V in 1963 and the one currently on the machine purchased in about 06. I have already prepared the original for the installation but am having second thoughts. My original plan was to use the original and sell the newer one on eBay together with a speed reducer that has been used one time.

Hopefully the sell will reduce the cost of the upgrade somewhat?

What would you do?

Don G:confused:
dgreen810
Gold Member

delete a thread

Post by dgreen810 »

Can't seem to find the option to delete a thread! Help
Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

1963 would make it a Goldie.

Assuming decent condition of the casting, quill and lock, IIWM I would definitely upgrade it. I also assume it will still match the rest of the Mark 5 colorwise.

But then I be partial to those colors!:D

Why second thoughts??? I do not consider the "C" headstock(06???)***** to be much different(switch location mainly) and do not think it is particularly better.

Selling a "C" headstock might be easier just because it is 'the latest'.****

**** After seeing pix posted below, it Ain't a "C" headstock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

dgreen810 wrote:Can't seem to find the option to delete a thread! Help
Don G
Under your post > To the right > 'Edit'
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote:Can't seem to find the option to delete a thread! Help
Don G
You cannot! Do not sweat it. We will ignore that one! You can edit it and state it is a duplicate and announce whatever penance you decide to take up.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:Under your post > To the right > 'Edit'
One can delete a post, but not a thread.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

[quote="JPG40504"]One can delete a post, but not a thread.]

Ah!

That got by me. Having done it a couple of times myself I was definitely thinking 'post' …
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

KEEP THE SPEED REDUCER!! It will take the Power Pro down to about 35 RPM.
That speed is good for finishing lathe work as well as a few other things

[ATTACH]24221[/ATTACH]

:D :D :D
Bill V
Attachments
job at hand.jpg
job at hand.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

wa2crk wrote:KEEP THE SPEED REDUCER!! It will take the Power Pro down to about 35 RPM.
That speed is good for finishing lathe work as well as a few other things

:D :D :D
Bill V
Yes! Keep it! I would really like a reducer for sharpening. At that speed, nearly no chance of over heating.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Unless you really need the cash or the space I'd go for keeping all that you have.

Some here have cut a machine into a shorty or mini but I like to have them full size. I have one of mine as a drill press and use the rest of the machine for SPT's storage. Below is a storage set up which helps hold all the goodies. That machine is stationary but still has a set of casters in case it needs to move someday. I'm really happy with how that has worked out.

If you have a SHMBO to worry about then put an ad and try to sell it for $2500. OH darn it didn't sell, I guess I have to keep it or try to sell it later....

Ed