My grandpa sent me this:

Subject: WHY OLD MEN DON'T GET HIRED!

Job Interview:

Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"

Old Man : "Honesty."

Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."

Old Man : "I don't really give a shit what you think."
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Really funny - Thanks for posting.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Good one, thanks
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
rjn2649
Gold Member

Post by rjn2649 »

after a real bad interview experience yesterday that sent me in a depression, that cracked me up big time....

THANKS
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Funny....but probably close to true.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

Just had an interview last week, got asked that question. Oh how I would have liked to have given that answer. Had to endure 45 min on how young workers don't want to work hard only to be told I was over qualified. Really???
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

texomawood wrote:Just had an interview last week, got asked that question. Oh how I would have liked to have given that answer. Had to endure 45 min on how young workers don't want to work hard only to be told I was over qualified. Really???
As a previous HR Director for a national corporation (previous is not to be confused with former - as in Former Marine) what this twerp was saying is that he/she didn't want to hire someone to work part time at minimal wage who had an opportunity to get a better job elsewhere. That's what happens when you make the first right of refusal to the lowest qualified person in the process. Stupid HR people do that. HR is essentially the Corporate Gestapo who just wants to protect it's turf. So, whenever you run into this tell this dweb that you want to know the exact specifics wherein you don't meet the job requirements. Challenge them. HR hates this but they must respond. If they don't stay on their butts. Send emails demanding exact job specifications and where you didn't meet them. Over exceeding a job requirement is not a reason for not hiring. It is a reason for being sued for selecting a less qualified applicant. Don't roll over. Fight.

Before you leave any job interview get an email address and phone number. Once they have rejected you they probably won't hire you but if you harass them a couple of months you will have enough evidence to get an attorney to sue them. Yes, I recommend that.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

db5 wrote: A Over exceeding a job requirement is not a reason for not hiring. It is a reason for being sued for selecting a less qualified applicant. Don't roll over. Fight.

Before you leave any job interview get an email address and phone number. Once they have rejected you they probably won't hire you but if you harass them a couple of months you will have enough evidence to get an attorney to sue them. Yes, I recommend that.
Actually wanted to answer that "over qualified" statement. It showed me the interviewer and /or the company doesn't know what they are doing. It would be fun to harass them if there is time.

Listening to a 45 minute rant while in an interview (as said in another previous post) shows that interviewer didn't know what he/she was there for. Dear interviewer - and interview is a time to find out about the applicant, not to tell him of your problems.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

I'm not in HR but having owned my own business and managed a few over the past 40 years or so, I have a little experience in the hiring game. I have hired people over qualified a few times in my life. 99% of the time this ends up as a short term solution to a staff shortage. An over qualified person uses the job as a stop gap till they can find a real job.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin