new to Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fightingseabee
Gold Member

new to Shopsmith

Post by fightingseabee »

greetings all I am currently in Afghanistan with the Navy Seabees. I have a one car garage w/attached carport. I use the carport for my car and the garage is a junk collector. I have wanted to turn my garage into a shop but the space is so small. I found a mark V on craigs list with a dc3300, band saw, 4" jointer and a bunch of accessories and I had my parents grab it for me. my big problem is going to be the best layout of benches shelves and miter saw table and how to best store the attachments not in use at the time. I am currently working on drawing up ideas on google sketchup but if any one has any sugestions, plans or tips I would love the help. I hope to have this all drawn up so I can get to work and have it up and running before the snow starts to fly.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I found lockable casters on everything will help determine where to move and place each machine so it can be best used. I worked mostly in my drive way for more than 30 years and used the small shop area for storage of the machines, tables and benches. I found I could quickly set up outside on nice days and let the sawdust fertilize the lawn. I learned to work with what I had available for space. Only in the past 10 or so years that I have a 24X24 shop with a large storage shed for parts.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

I moved my unit all over the US in 24 yrs in the Navy. When I retired I set up in a Portable building (15x 20). I put in a workbench with drawers across one end, I made a shelf out of 2x12's along one wall to hold my SPT's. On the other wall I built a bench to hold my chopsaw. By putting perboard on the walls I was able to mount / hold several accessories. I added lights, then added more lights !!!!! Last thing I did was buy a $100 dollar window A/C unit and mounted it in the wall.
Don't put the shelf that holds the SPT's too high or you will regret it when putting them up. Make sure you clean and then wax everything with Johnson's paste wax it will prevent rust and let everything slide smoothly.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

Some ideas there :)
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
fightingseabee
Gold Member

thanks

Post by fightingseabee »

thank you all for the help. josh I really love the pic it is giving me great ideas and I will start drawing them up.
jebber
Gold Member

Post by jebber »

Reading your post made me remember my Grandfather who serves as a Seabee in WWI and then years later he reenlisted to serve again as a Seabee in WWII.

My Dad, a Marine in WWII told me the Seabee often got flak from the regular services but no man messed with grandpa, they were all afraid of him. He was a bear of a man even when he turned 80.

Back when Men were Men LOL

Thanks for triggering the memory.
SS M5 Circa 1982ish
SS Belt Sander - SS Jigsaw - SS Jointer - SS Band Saw - SS Strip Sander

Seeking woodworking knowledge!
fightingseabee
Gold Member

jebber

Post by fightingseabee »

jebber its always nice to find people who know the Seabees, most people look at me and say "whats a Seabee". just some info for you, the Seabees were created 05 march 1942 after pearl harbor. so in wwI your grandfather was possibly a civilian that went over to help build but they weren't allowed to be given weapons so anytime fighting started they had to be evacuated. that was also the problem at the start of wwII so the formed the bees, trained them to build and to fight to defend what they build. a Japanese admiral wrote a book that my dad read and said that the Seabees were the major contributor to the US victory in the pacific because the could go to an airstrip that was bombed and have it operational in hours not weeks. its awesome being a part of this organization.
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

I have my SS setup in a 12x16 yard building I turned into a shop. Have room for a 5'carving table and a work bench. I use wire shelving for much of my storage.
I was a Marine Combat Engineer in Vietnam. Thanks for what you are doing! Many at home are proud of you all!!
[ATTACH]22406[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22407[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22408[/ATTACH]
Attachments
SHOP 003.jpg
SHOP 003.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
shop_storage_003.JPG
shop_storage_003.JPG (208.66 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
shop_storage_007.JPG
shop_storage_007.JPG (162.46 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
apexsunguitars
Gold Member

Post by apexsunguitars »

this may be an interested thread, i am having a 10 x 16 lofted barn type shed built in the back yard that i will have to creatively store the stuff from the old shed into while making room for two SS tools, a workbench, and a compound miter saw (or a sawsmith if I am lucky!)
1991 Mark V / 510 with ODS Kit
1983 Mark V / 500 Series w/ 11" bandsaw, 20" Scrollsaw (Currently tearing the SS down for a complete and thorough cleaning and tuning)
1956 Mark V / 500 PartsSmith (DOA) w/ Magna Jointer and Bandsaw
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Seabee;
It is almost impossible to tell someone how to set up a shop. It becomes very personal and depends on what your primary activities will be. If you are anything like me you will change the layout many times as your interests vary.
I have my SPT's and attachments on one wall of my garage.

[ATTACH]22412[/ATTACH]

The wall measures 8' from left to right but there are other areas for other tools and storage.
Build some basic storage for the major components and go from there.
Bill V
Attachments
Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg
Bill Vans shopsmith wall.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 4948 times