Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by dusty »

lbrooks836 wrote:I ordered the Pro Fence upgrade for my 510. I got the video and the instructions but lost the instructions. Do I have to put the spacers in for it to fit right? Someone broke into my shop and stole a bunch of my equipment so I have been in a mess trying to put it all back together. Any help will be appreciated.
If you are speaking of the spacers that go between the tables and the rails, yes. That spacing is critical to rip fence.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lbrooks836
Bronze Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by lbrooks836 »

The upgrade does not fit my tubes. Geez
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

lbrooks836 wrote:The upgrade does not fit my tubes. Geez
If you bought the Pro Fence it won't fit on 510 tubes. You need the entire Pro Fence system upgrade with the 520 rails.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Okay you made me look. Let's say both catalog descriptions are partly right. I don't have a '53 catalog but I'll bet it is the same as the '52 entry which says 1/4" & 1/2" and so does a 2008 catalog. Although the '52 & 53' catalogs were for the Model 10's casters they use the same cams. The '63 catalog shown earlier says the same as the '62 & '64 catalogs at 1/8" & 1/4". I upgraded my 2001 Mark V 520 about three years ago (before making it a Mark 7) using the Shopsmith "Drill Bit and Guide Installation Kit" part 556425. I just went and measured the clearances and it is about 1/8" and 5/16" with the wheels resting off the floor in the up position. As I recall the original 2" wheels were about the same. If you wish to have more lift then adjust the hole placement by "fitting" the retracted placement, wheels touching, as described previously and place the holes accordingly. If these clearances are not that important to you, than you can use the "Drill Bit and Guide Installation Kit" to make the job easier. With it you simply bolt the guide in place and drill the two new holes above the old ones in each of the four spots. If using a paper template check the spacing between the new holes against the spacing of the caster mounting holes. Apparently not all paper is printed equally.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The lift should be the same. The amount of lift is determined by the cams. With the castor upgrade you don't change the castor mechanism itself just add larger wheels. The entire mechanism must be moved up so the larger wheels clear the floor but the cams remain the same so the lift remains the same.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:The lift should be the same. The amount of lift is determined by the cams. With the castor upgrade you don't change the castor mechanism itself just add larger wheels. The entire mechanism must be moved up so the larger wheels clear the floor but the cams remain the same so the lift remains the same.
The wheels may not actually clear the floor. It is only necessary to take all weight off of them. There is significant vertical play between the stems and the pistons.

In order to realize full motion of the initial cam lobe(1/4") would be for the post/cam to be at the point where any piston movement is equally transferred to the wheel post. For that reason I think achieving 1/4" first position clearance of the legs to the floor is only possible when everything is perfect. The second additional lift should add 1/4" regardless.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:The lift should be the same. The amount of lift is determined by the cams. With the castor upgrade you don't change the castor mechanism itself just add larger wheels. The entire mechanism must be moved up so the larger wheels clear the floor but the cams remain the same so the lift remains the same.
The wheels may not actually clear the floor. It is only necessary to take all weight off of them. There is significant vertical play between the stems and the pistons.

In order to realize full motion of the initial cam lobe(1/4") would be for the post/cam to be at the point where any piston movement is equally transferred to the wheel post. For that reason I think achieving 1/4" first position clearance of the legs to the floor is only possible when everything is perfect. The second additional lift should add 1/4" regardless.
Absolutely true. Bad choice of words on my part. :o The real point is that the castor size has nothing to do with the lift clearance. The cams determine that regardless of castor size.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

Absolutely true. Bad choice of words on my part. :o The real point is that the castor size has nothing to do with the lift clearance. The cams determine that regardless of castor size.

The position of the mounting holes WILL directly affect the resultant floor clearance at all cam settings.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

The position of the mounting holes WILL directly affect the resultant floor clearance at all cam settings.
Yes I understand that. You could gain a little extra clearance by lowering the hole position from the SS template. Do you know how much? I would not think it would be very much.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I should mention, which I neglected before, that my wheels lift about 1/8" off the floor when in the resting position. I said my legs lift about 1/8" and 5/16" since I didn't get exact measurements. The wheels, at rest, lift slightly more than the first step of about 1/8" and the higher step is slightly more than 5/16". I could get more exact measurements but since these heights work for me I'll wait until I get curious enough to check. As far as the question of how much to change the height of the new holes, mine would be about an 1/8 of an inch.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.