Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:I should mention, which I neglected before, that my wheels lift about 1/8" off the floor when in the resting position. I said my legs lift about 1/8" and 5/16" since I didn't get exact measurements. The wheels, at rest, lift slightly more than the first step of about 1/8" and the higher step is slightly more than 5/16". I could get more exact measurements but since these heights work for me I'll wait until I get curious enough to check. As far as the question of how much to change the height of the new holes, mine would be about an 1/8 of an inch.
I surmise the 'slightly more than' 5/16 is 'slightly less than' 3/8 and the about 1/8 is slightly less than 1/8.

All this attention to 'wheel lift' is misleading. The casters are a sloppy vertical fit in the pistons which are moved by the cams.

Since the wheels are 'about' 1/8 off the floor, the pistons must move 'about' 1/8 to contact the floor.

Then the vertical slop must be 'absorbed'.(piston move with no identical wheel vertical motion)

Then the 'lifting' begins and the remaining vertical cam/piston motion results in lifting the legs off the floor.

1/4" cam = 1/8 wheel drop + slop + slightly less than 1/8".

Now any variation in piston bore depth/overall length and caster stem length in addition to sloppy hole placement will also affect the final result!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by dusty »

Yeah, maybe.

Is this the way your 3" caster set works?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Yeah, maybe.

Is this the way your 3" caster set works?
Nope! The wheels rest on the floor when the legs are supporting the SS.

Very little vertical slop is evident. Yes the first stop gets the legs off the floor very close to 1/4". The second stop gets it 1/4" higher.

Full disclosure: I ain't got the SS casters. I did not use the SS template to position the new holes.( the casters are different anyway)

It was all done from scratch and was the source of my understanding.

Yeah, fer sure!

Lighten up Dusty. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange