Which way to go?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

phillsam
Gold Member

Which way to go?

Post by phillsam »

Hey guys,

Still looking for my first shopsmith purchase.

It seems as though I have a choice to make.
With my budget (in my area) I have two directions I could go with my purchase.

(a) buy and older 500 model SS that comes with 2 or 3 larger attachments (bandsaw, jointer, belt or strip sander, jig saw etc)

Or (b) buy a newer 510 with floating tables (and Maybe a bandsaw if I can land the deal) and slowly buy SPTs as I can afford/find them.

How much nicer is it to use the 510 tables?
Is it hard to piece together a 510 upgrade?
Is it a better idea/deal to get as many SPTs in the initial deal?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

phillsam wrote:Hey guys,

Still looking for my first shopsmith purchase.

It seems as though I have a choice to make.
With my budget (in my area) I have two directions I could go with my purchase.

(a) buy and older 500 model SS that comes with 2 or 3 larger attachments (bandsaw, jointer, belt or strip sander, jig saw etc)

Or (b) buy a newer 510 with floating tables (and Maybe a bandsaw if I can land the deal) and slowly buy SPTs as I can afford/find them.

How much nicer is it to use the 510 tables?
Is it hard to piece together a 510 upgrade?
Is it a better idea/deal to get as many SPTs in the initial deal?

If it was me, I'd go for the 510 and buy other SPTs as need and $ allow.
Don't really know about the 500 except it has a smaller motor and a smaller saw table.
I bought a 510, so can't answer your 2nd question
It is a better deal to make sure any SPT you get is in good working order. This is why I buy mine from Shopsmith and one at a time.

Wishing you the best - these are decisions that you will live with for a long time.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

What area are you from?

Personally, I would hold out for a 510, but I don't know how much you have to spend.

Any area, take florida for instance, that is saturated with SS's is a buyer's market.
On the other hand, secluded areas could be good as far as a buyer is concerned. There are fewer buyers for the seller to draw from.

Some sellers in these areas are unrealistic about the value of their used equipment.
I've seen sellers drop prices from $2500 8 months ago, to BEST OFFER today, because of various reasons. Forced to sell because of moving, money woes, etc, etc.

A little patience will work in your favor, be willing to travel some distance for a sweet deal.

I only became a SS owner in January. This is my first purchase:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12424

It is only a 500. It will make a difference when purchasing new accessories from SS.

Some accessories are different for the 500 than for the 510,520, PP.

Buying used, be prepared for restoration, lubrication, and a learning curve to using and maintaining this equipment. Then again, I like restoring this stuff!

Researched a previous thread of yours where you mentioned having a table saw and not really needing to utilize the tablesaw portion of the SS. In that case, you could easily get by with a 500 and just shoot for the bandsaw, jointer, and beltsander, and if your lucky enough...a planer like I did.
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
phillsam
Gold Member

Post by phillsam »

Hey Pieceseeker, do you ever feel like you are missing the extra table space that the 510 would give?
I'm in Portland Oregon.

For example:
One seller has a 500 with bandsaw/jointer/beltsander/strip sander/pump&sprayer/scroll saw

Another seller has a 510 that is in beautiful condition (he just went through and lubed/replaced worn parts. Has all floating tables and telescoping legs and arbor for standard blades. But no major attachments.

I could get both for around the same price. Just don't know which would be best way to go
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Given the choice, I'd shoot for the most bang for the buck. You can upgrade later to a 510 or even a 520 direct from SS. Think of it as buying a couple SPT's.

You already have a tablesaw...right?

Many people complain about the saw portion of the SS.

Of course, It will all depend on what you need at the moment. Do you really need a bandsaw right now? Only you can answer that.

My situation? I've haven't had hardly any time for actually cutting wood yet. But, like I said, I'm getting a kick out of restoring this stuff back to new.

If you want to just dive headlong into woodworking and not worry about fixing machinery first, buy newer good running equipment. You'll undoubtedly pay more.
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Phil, if it were me, I'd go for the one with all the extra SPTs. But then, all those extras would also mount on my Frankensmith 10ER, giving me all kinds of flexibility.

I'm pretty sure the conversion from 500 to 510 is a LOT less than the price, even used, of all those extra goodies.

The ideal setup, would be get the 500, with the goodies, and look for a decent 520, provided you have the shop space.

steve
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'd say GO FOR the 500, with all the goodies.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

It really depends on a lot of factors. Condition is huge, regarless of age. A well maintained greenie is much better than a basket-case 510 or a rusted-out 520.

However, I really would not want to use the small table on a 510 myself, nor would I want to use it without a dust chute/blade guard. That's just me, I know a lot of folks that are perfectly happy with the smaller table and no blade guard.

If you are willing to hike it up to seattle we could get you set up reasonably well ;)
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gotta set some things straight.

There are two sizes of tables - 500, 505/510/520.

There are two sizes of motors(3 including the PP) 3/4 hp and 1 1/8 hp. The 3/4 hp motor is only on a greenie or early(pre 1963) goldie. Those models are also Gilmer drive.

A 510 'upgrade' will mainly affect the table saw functions. I consider the 'small' 500 sized table to be larger than most drill press tables.

For me, I would go for the spt set.

As already said, condition, condition, condition.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
phillsam
Gold Member

Post by phillsam »

[quote="damagi"]
If you are willing to hike it up to seattle we could get you set up reasonably well ]

I may be able to arrange something like that.
I think I told you in an email that my budget (if you ask my wife) is $250. But could be stretched up to around $350-400 if I to attachments that replaced tools that I already have.

Ideally I've been on the lookout for a 510 and bandsaw (jointer and sanders would be wonderful too)
From what ive see I think that may be a bit out of reach.

What did you have in mind if I made the trek up there?