Help me give away a Shopsmith?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Help me give away a Shopsmith?

Post by heathicus »

A while back I bought a used Mark 5 and parted it out on eBay. I kept the base (legs, tubes) with the intention of using it as a miter saw and planer stand. Now that I've added the Sawsmith RAS to my shop, I just don't have room for it.

One of my high school classmates has a son in high school that has gotten very into woodworking through shop class. He has no power tools at home. I've pointed out several used Shopsmiths on Craig's List to her, but even a Model 500 at a very attractive price is just not within their available budget.

While thinking about what I'd like to do with the Shopsmith parts I no longer have room for, I thought about this kid and how I'd love to be able to put together a basic, working 500 and be able to give it to him. My first Shopsmith was given to me, and I'd really like to "pay it forward."

This is what I have to start out with:

Legs and caster assemblies (missing wheels on one end), end castings, tubes, extension table, main table (with standard saw and dado inserts), fence, and joiner (without safety guard - this came from Joshh by way of Fred Sheldon). Not pictured, but I can also add a miter gauge, some "safety kit" pieces like a push stick, push block, fence straddler, etc, the old style (metal) blade guard, and I probably have an arbor or two I can spare but I haven't done an inventory on those.

Now, my budget is pretty limited too and there's no way I can afford to buy everything that is missing. So, I'm asking for a little help.

Do you have any parts and pieces you'd be willing to donate to this? I'm not looking for a fully outfitted 520 with all the SPTs. Just a basic 500. Obviously the BIG missing part is the headstock/motor. That is a lot to ask for, I know. I think everything else would be fairly easy to come by. And I would do a full "restoration" and paint job.

So is this idea even possible?

UPDATED:

Below is a parts list that I'd like to try to assemble. Parts in RED are still needed. Parts in black BOLD I have in my possession. Parts in black ITALICShave been pledged. I only want to start worrying about shipping and assembling and such once a complete (or nearly so) machine can be built.

Carriage Assembly
Tailstock
Sanding Disc
Drill chuck & key
Lathe Centers
5/8" Saw Blade Arbor
Headstock (Greenie)
Tool Rest
Saw Guards (I have an OLD set that might work, and another set has been pledged)
Bench and Base Assembly (legs, tubes, end castings, etc)
Extension Table
Main Table
Fence
Miter Gauge & Safety Grip
1.25" Saw Blade Arbor
5/32" T-Handle Allen Wrench
Fence Straddler
Push block
12" Sanding Pad Assortment

Jointer blade guard
Power coupler
Drive Hubs

If I'm missing any important parts, please let me know.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I believe I have a complete saw guard assembly that would fit that machine. I'll check later today (after getting a new refrigerator moved to my house and transferring an older one to my daughter and her husband's house).

More info and pics later - perhaps tomorrow.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

Heathicus, Sounds like a worthy cause. I have a Greenie headstock I would be willing to donate. I picked it up with a bunch of parts and have yet to really look at it. It does run,but I suspect would require a full service. If nobody comes up with anything better your welcome to it. Hopefully you we be offered something nicer and closer,as the shipping from CA might be steep.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Thanks, gentlemen!

recurvearcher, how much work do you think the Greenie headstock will need? Diving into a gilmer clutch sort of intimidates me! Thanks to Mickyd's excellent documentation, I'm pretty sure I could get through it, however.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I ran the headstock today. It runs up to speed,but had a pronounced whine in the mid-range. It may just require normal maintenance and lubrication.That's just a guess. The deepest I have ever gone into a headstock was a belt change.
I hadn't notice prior ,but that speed controller is bent and rotates poorly,that may require some parts. It has been repainted brown,but the serial number (331884) shows it as a '56/57 greenie vintage. I didn't have time to check the quill or pull any covers. Consider it a "fixer".
Afraid I can't tell how much of a fixer until you start pulling it apart.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I can offer the a Mk. VII tool rest which may or may not fit. Let me know when the final headstock and other stuff are assembled.
fiatben
Platinum Member

An alternative option

Post by fiatben »

Just throwing this out for consideration. I don't know how much used 500s go for on craigslist down your way but it might be easier to set up an impromptu fund and see if we can all pitch in and help this kid get his first Shopsmith. Almost all of us are set up with paypal. I think, personally, I'd rather send money than spend it on shipping parts. I would think by the time we all paid shipping for bits and pieces, it would be cheaper overall to buy one locally. Additionally, there's the fun of helping the kid rebuild/tune-up the machine and helping him learn what a wonderful piece of equipment it truly is.
But I have lots of pieces too, so let us know what the wish list is.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

fiatben, I appreciate that idea and understand it, but the last thing I want to do personally is get involved handling other people's money! I'm not really comfortable with that. If you (or anybody else) would like to contribute money to the project, then my preference would be for that money to go toward shipping, especially for a bigger item such as a headstock.

Auston is the kid's name and I must clarify that I only really know him through his mom's post on Facebook. We live several hours apart, and I'm not close personal friends with them. She's just a high school classmate and we're friends on Facebook. When she started posting pictures of his woodworking projects from shop class (from bird houses to jewelry boxes to coffee tables) and talking about his growing interest in woodworking, I asked if he had any power tools at home. I was told no, so I told her about the Shopsmith. As I've seen reasonably priced used machines on the local Craig's List (which are few and far between), I pointed them out, but the response was always that they couldn't afford it. I also know that he has some health problems, having to do with his heart, and has to have a bit of tests and procedures from time to time. But just knowing him through his mom's Facebook posts, he seems like a great kid. He just finished his junior year and will be a high school senior this coming year. He has a real interest in woodworking and I'd hate to see that die (or be put on hold for years) after high school.

I say that to explain that I can't really help him restore a Shopsmith. I'm just not physically close enough for one thing. I can deliver it, teach him how to align, maintain, and use it. And I can be in contact if he has any questions.
Heath
Central Louisiana
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:I can offer the a Mk. VII tool rest which may or may not fit. Let me know when the final headstock and other stuff are assembled.
It'll fit!!!!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I've updated the first post to include a list of parts.
Heath
Central Louisiana