repairing a Mark V greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gogreenwave
Bronze Member

repairing a Mark V greenie

Post by gogreenwave »

Hello,

I have a Mark V Greenie that I recently had a problem with- it started making a squeeling noise and smoking, so I turned it off, and when I flipped it on again the motor just hummed. I took it apart and discovered when I disconnected the motor and turned it on it ran fine, but the belt that connected the quill to the idler shat wouldn't turn. I saw that when I took out the speed control it was burnt where the speed control meets the idler shaft. I then looked at the bearings on the idler shaft and quill and they spun fine.

Does anyone have any idea which part has gone bad? is it the idler shaft, the speed control or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
allsas
Gold Member

Control Sheave Bearing. (111)

Post by allsas »

Look for a small bearing on the Control Sheave (111).

I found a control sheave where it had come off the sheave and ground on the steel strip attached to the quadrant.

Hard to find things that have fallen off or are missing, if you don't have a working Mark 5 for comparison.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

If you can take pictures of the control sheave and the speed control, I'll bet we can help see if anything is damaged/missing.
gogreenwave
Bronze Member

Post by gogreenwave »

Here are some pics of the control sheave and speed control. The square clip fell off as I was taking it apart and I noticed it was melted where it broke off.

Thanks for the help

[ATTACH]19905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19907[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19908[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG (33.98 KiB) Viewed 919 times
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG (37.67 KiB) Viewed 917 times
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG (34.22 KiB) Viewed 916 times
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG (32.18 KiB) Viewed 911 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gogreenwave wrote:Here are some pics of the control sheave and speed control. The square clip fell off as I was taking it apart and I noticed it was melted where it broke off.

Thanks for the help

[ATTACH]19905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19907[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19908[/ATTACH]

Interesting! It appears one does not need the bearing/button after all.:D At least for while!

The porkchop can be cleaned up(smooth out those bumps), but the control sheave is essentially toast(yes there are ways, but beyond the 'typical' SS owner). The 'clip is broken. A new one will come with a new control sheave.

The 'burned' look of the steel plate riveted to the porkchop is normal.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange