Storing the Lathe Duplicator

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

island
Bronze Member

Storing the Lathe Duplicator

Post by island »

The Lathe duplicator is a pretty darn handy accessory to use, but now that I have completed the toggles I have been working on I need to store the gangly thing. Has anyone come up with a good storage solution???
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

island wrote:The Lathe duplicator is a pretty darn handy accessory to use, but now that I have completed the toggles I have been working on I need to store the gangly thing. Has anyone come up with a good storage solution???
Attic!.........;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have a four foot wide steel cabinet in one corner of my shop. The lathe duplicator shares the top of that cabinet with a radio. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I don't know who is storing mine right now but as soon as they post it on Ebay it will become mine and I will find a home for it :D I just set up my universal lathe tool rest and took a trial cut out of the center of my mounted stock and I really like it so far. I will give it a full test as soon as my ordered bowl gouges arrive from SS.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

Do you still have the box it came in? You could always break it down and pack it back up into the box for storage. Alot of times I will do this for items I use infrequently.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

dforeman wrote:Do you still have the box it came in? You could always break it down and pack it back up into the box for storage. Alot of times I will do this for items I use infrequently.

When moving cross country I decided to keep as many Shopsmith items as possible in original cartons. Once the new shop was ready I unpacked items as time allowed. The last item still in its original carton was the lathe duplicator It was stored in the front of the garage about 6" off the floor. One summer day we were flooded and when I walked into the garage my heart stopped as I realized water was coming thru the wall a foot up from the floor. I managed to move the few items in the way and get to the Duplicator. The box was totally soaked and ruined. Fortunately I caught it just as the flood occurred and managed to unpack and dry everything out. I spent several days being certain nothing else was stored near the floor or anyplace else that could get wet. In fact we made the shop contractor come back and replace concrete that was improperly poured as well as do some additional drainage work to protect from future flooding. In the year and a half since that incidence City and County have both been shamed into rather substantial flood abatement work. If this drought ever ends we may discover if all efforts helped protect us. In carton storage works for some, for me not so great. Jim
F. Jim Parks

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have only a partial solution thus far in my storage quest. To start with mine came in the original box as new but it had been stored on the floor in a garage/basement/etc for some years. The box was shot but all the parts were still sealed in bags and wrap so they were in great condition. The box was too bad to even recycle so I had to trash it.

I went to look of a box that would fit most of the parts. Plano Plastics makes one that did quite well. I'll show pictures in a few moments.

I decided to store the system in three locations. The table will be stored on my "drill press" machine taking advantage of the fact the unit is tipped up and the horizontal space is available. I have the parts cut but not assembled for that so I can't show it to you now. The channel and its partner support for the steady rest I have located in some free space along with a lot of other misc. things.

[ATTACH]19969[/ATTACH]

The tool box for those with keen eyes has a few brackets missing. I have to collect them out of a drawer I stuck them in but the temperatures have been a little to low for me to address that.

[ATTACH]19970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19971[/ATTACH]

So at this point this is what I have.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3834sc.jpg
DSCF3834sc.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
DSCF3832sc.jpg
DSCF3832sc.jpg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
DSCF3833sc.jpg
DSCF3833sc.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I'll PM you my address and I'll store it for you
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
allsas
Gold Member

Need a recommendation....!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by allsas »

I considered a 2' x 2' x 4" box, but that doesn't consider the partially assembled table and the aluminum bar. So it has set w/o being completed for a long time.

I want a storage solution that keeps all of the parts together. So that I can find all of the parts when you return it.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

allsas wrote:I considered a 2' x 2' x 4" box, but that doesn't consider the partially assembled table and the aluminum bar. So it has set w/o being completed for a long time.

I want a storage solution that keeps all of the parts together. So that I can find all of the parts when you return it.
Shame on you, this forced me out of my recliner and out to shop to look at, measure and take a quick view of options. First leave it on top of the current cabinet. Second Remove it and built a custom cabinet (then place cabinet and Duplicator back in current space) with a front opening to allow easy removal from a rather lofty perch. (personally this is first choice as is a fun challenge). Third I have a rather large storage/tool box I purchased from Lowes several years ago that would hold it. BTW January is the best month of the year to find interesting storage solutions at box stores. Finally and I would never do this because it's far too simple. I have a 5' long work bench with an open shelf underneath. Plenty of space and would only need sides and doors added. What a dirty trick, you've got me trying to figure out how to break all the rules of rehab and get back to my beloved man cave, shame be upon you.:mad::confused::D Jim
F. Jim Parks