Wood "Working"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

major_bob
Gold Member

Wood "Working"

Post by major_bob »

Starting a couple of little projects which I've decided to do entirely by hand with no power tools. After resawing a few feet of cherry I can appreciate why it is called wood "working".....:p
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

major_bob wrote:Starting a couple of little projects which I've decided to do entirely by hand with no power tools. After resawing a few feet of cherry I can appreciate why it is called wood "working".....:p

You used a HAND SAW for that resawing?:D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

beeg wrote:You used a HAND SAW for that resawing?:D
Based upon how I feel today, it was more of an "arm and back" saw. :o

I was actually headed to the band saw when my son reminded me that I had intended to do it all by hand.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I don't know but I would guess you used a saw that wasn't made for that purpose.

I have often related a story where my neighbor got an old world Craftsman in to craft some book cases. I was horrified to learn he was planing to rip a number of 8ft+ boards by hand. I rushed home, got my keys, stopped at he pot, pulled my truck out of the garage, uncovered my Shopsmith, got a rip blade mounted and all the guards in place and rushed back over to tell him to come cut them on my saw. I was in time to watch him cut the last few feet of his last board. The saw looked like it was being ran by a laser guided machine.

My mouth fell open and I spend the rest of the day following this guy around like a puppy watching everything he did. He talked another language so we had to use a lot of sign language but I learned a ton from him that day. He had four saws, a cross cut, a rip cut, a resaw and precision fit saw. He also carried the sharpest chisels I have ever seen and touched them up often with a oil stone(I think because he used spit) to a gleaming cut wood like butter sharpness.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I don't know but I would guess you used a saw that wasn't made for that purpose.

I have often related a story where my neighbor got an old world Craftsman in to craft some book cases. I was horrified to learn he was planing to rip a number of 8ft+ boards by hand. I rushed home, got my keys, stopped at he pot, pulled my truck out of the garage, uncovered my Shopsmith, got a rip blade mounted and all the guards in place and rushed back over to tell him to come cut them on my saw. I was in time to watch him cut the last few feet of his last board. The saw looked like it was being ran by a laser guided machine.

My mouth fell open and I spend the rest of the day following this guy around like a puppy watching everything he did. He talked another language so we had to use a lot of sign language but I learned a ton from him that day. He had four saws, a cross cut, a rip cut, a resaw and precision fit saw. He also carried the sharpest chisels I have ever seen and touched them up often with a oil stone(I think because he used spit) to a gleaming cut wood like butter sharpness.
Yup, there are a few of those guys left. They are often referred to as "skilled craftsmen".

Had I had a brain in my head, I would have become an apprentice to a gentleman like that. But I did not. I went in the service instead.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

I used a Japanese style ripping saw. After I got a few inches into the cut, I shimmed the kerf to keep it from binding.

I joke about the "work" but actually at the right angle and once I got into the rhythm, it cut really well.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I have often related a story where my neighbor got an old world Craftsman in to craft some book cases.
Great story Ed! It explains the appeal of Roy Underhill.
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

Always great to watch a person that really knows what they are doing. We can learn a lot from how they do things.
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
maggeorge
Gold Member

Post by maggeorge »

That's what I call excellent craftsmanship and great talent. It amazes me people who can make beautiful projects without using power tools, very creative and resourceful.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I can recall when I was a kid being around old carpenters who were always arguing over whether a handsaw or an electric saw was best. Of course some of those early electric saw were pretty crude and some weighed a ton. :rolleyes:
It was common for some of them to claim that they could cut faster over all with a good handsaw.

I used to have neighbors (fellow farmers) that built a good bit of fence but never used a tractor mounted post hole auger. They claimed that one of the brothers could dig holes by hand faster than a tractor could.
I have a tractor auger but have not used it in a long time. It saves a lot of work but is too much work to mount on the tractor for just a few post holes. I don't "like" digging them by hand but then again I don't much "like" mounting that heavy auger assembly. :)
I remove about as much fence as I put in these days. To save work I have taken to saving the post holes when I pull out the old post. I store them in an old shed (to keep them from filling with water) until I need them. When I need to build a bit of fence I get a few out and stick them down where I need them. Saves a lot of digging...

;)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill