new Casters

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

georgerud
Bronze Member

new Casters

Post by georgerud »

Being a new member, I haven't had much time on my new to me Greenie that I acquired from my uncle, but I finally did the caster upgrade. Shopsmith wasn't kidding when they claimed the ease of movement compared to the original casters! Now, I can easily roll the unit out to the driveway and save a lot of cleanup in the garage. Wish I had space for a nice shop, but this has really made a difference in the mobility of the Greenie!
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

I bought a set of these last month as part of a big SS order and haven't gotten around to installing them...I want to clean and paint the legs as long as I have them off for the installation and just haven't had the time. We're closing escrow on a new house next month that includes a detached workshop bigger than I could dream of...complete with concrete floors and two garage doors, so I can't wait to be able to roll my 500 around like butter after working out of a glorified broom closet for years that required my to drag my 500 with stock wheels out onto a gravel patio area to work.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgale wrote:I bought a set of these last month as part of a big SS order and haven't gotten around to installing them...I want to clean and paint the legs as long as I have them off for the installation and just haven't had the time. We're closing escrow on a new house next month that includes a detached workshop bigger than I could dream of...complete with concrete floors and two garage doors, so I can't wait to be able to roll my 500 around like butter after working out of a glorified broom closet for years that required my to drag my 500 with stock wheels out onto a gravel patio area to work.

Say Whaaaaa?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

dgale wrote:I bought a set of these last month as part of a big SS order and haven't gotten around to installing them...I want to clean and paint the legs as long as I have them off for the installation and just haven't had the time. We're closing escrow on a new house next month that includes a detached workshop bigger than I could dream of...complete with concrete floors and two garage doors, so I can't wait to be able to roll my 500 around like butter after working out of a glorified broom closet for years that required my to drag my 500 with stock wheels out onto a gravel patio area to work.
I just finished wire brushing all the flacking paint and rust off of my SS legs also. Hit it with a coat of rust reformer and rustoleum gray. Was already to hit it with the shopsmith gray but the brand new can of paint refused to spray. :eek: Ordered a new can that will hopefully work once it gets here. At almost $20.00 (including S&H) for a can of paint does anyone know how to get paint out of an aerosol can that refuses to spray?
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

JPG40504 wrote:Say Whaaaaa?
Well, you don't have to take them off but you need to drill knew holes to accommodate the new wheels and in my case, the entire wheel assembly needs a thorough cleaning and lubing and my SS legs need a new paint job, so I tore the whole thing apart to make life easier.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gampa wrote:I just finished wire brushing all the flacking paint and rust off of my SS legs also. Hit it with a coat of rust reformer and rustoleum gray. Was already to hit it with the shopsmith gray but the brand new can of paint refused to spray. :eek: Ordered a new can that will hopefully work once it gets here. At almost $20.00 (including S&H) for a can of paint does anyone know how to get paint out of an aerosol can that refuses to spray?
I had two cans that would not spray. They were not brand new. That is why I did not return them but they were in my possession only three or four months.

Rather than run the risk again, I used Rustoleum. At least then if it did not spray I could return immediately for an exchange.

If Shopsmith offered exact color matches to previous paints, I would always buy from them but since they do not - what is the value. Paint is one line of supplies that I believe they should drop.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
griffmeister
Gold Member

Post by griffmeister »

Gampa wrote:I just finished wire brushing all the flacking paint and rust off of my SS legs also. Hit it with a coat of rust reformer and rustoleum gray. Was already to hit it with the shopsmith gray but the brand new can of paint refused to spray. :eek: Ordered a new can that will hopefully work once it gets here. At almost $20.00 (including S&H) for a can of paint does anyone know how to get paint out of an aerosol can that refuses to spray?
Not recommended, but an old fashioned beer can opener properly applied to the bottom of the can should do the trick. :eek: Need to be absolutely sure there is no charge in the can or else you and the room you're in will be a lovely shade of Shopsmith grey.
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

griffmeister wrote:Not recommended, but an old fashioned beer can opener properly applied to the bottom of the can should do the trick. :eek: Need to be absolutely sure there is no charge in the can or else you and the room you're in will be a lovely shade of Shopsmith grey.
Yikes - that sounds scary...from his description, it could well be charged but clogged, in which case punching the bottom with a church key will make a mess on you and everything around you you'll regret, as well as quite likely being dangerous. You mentioned it was a new can of paint - why not return it to SS and let them know it came DOA? Or was it "new" in terms of having not been used but something you bought a while ago? My guess is it's clogged. Try a different nozzle from another can of spray paint and see if that works, and/or try turning the can upside down and spraying to see if some of the compressed gas will come out. I just bought 3 cans of the SS paint last month and am planning to put them to use soon...I hope I don't discover a similar problem.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Gampa wrote:... does anyone know how to get paint out of an aerosol can that refuses to spray?
Set it down on the front of your best dress shirt.

OR, in the rather extraordinary event that that doesn't work, read the can instructions carefully and see if there isn't a "how to free a stuck nozzle" directive. Common is the method of soaking it (the nozzle, not your best dress shirt) in turpentine, paint thinner, mineral spirits, tequila or tabasco sause, or whatever fits the particular product.
Might even work. (tho I doubt it)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

The get out your best dress shirt sounds about the best. I am sure that would make it work. The can was a new can I had bought in anticipation of this upgrade knowing the legs were rusted and what better time to take care of it. I am certain that customer service would have taken care of the problem but as usual my working is the shop is on the weekends and wanted to get the new can on its way as soon as possible. The can has some pressure in it and will spray a little bit. I'll try cleaning the nozzle and shaking the can longer also. Thanks
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw