New Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

New Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Post by joedw00 »

Email Special: 555715 Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw ... $699.99 For a limited time.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
stonjohn4
Bronze Member

Post by stonjohn4 »

I'm talking about the black thing in the middle of the photo - anyone know what it is? Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the thing in the upper left corner is either - the thing right above the miter extension table. Here's another photo they posted:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

stonjohn4 wrote:I'm talking about the black thing in the middle of the photo - anyone know what it is? Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the thing in the upper left corner is either - the thing right above the miter extension table. Here's another photo they posted:
Can't tell for sure what you are asking about. Which photo images are you referring to.

The "black thing" right below the table (in the email photo) is the base of the scroll saw.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Reading the email special, I would conclude that this is a "close out" of existing models and that once they are gone there will no longer be a Shopsmith Scroll Saw (at least not this model).

That worries me. If Shopsmith is discontinuing this particular production line, will they continue to support what is already in the field and for how long?

This model scroll saw is newer yet than the one I have. Maybe I have already entered into the era of "support no longer available". That would be a real bummer.:(

I also cannot figure out what the "special offering" is. It seems to me that $699 has been the going price for the scroll saw for some time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

dusty wrote:Reading the email special, I would conclude that this is a "close out" of existing models and that once they are gone there will no longer be a Shopsmith Scroll Saw (at least not this model).

That worries me. If Shopsmith is discontinuing this particular production line, will they continue to support what is already in the field and for how long?

This model scroll saw is newer yet than the one I have. Maybe I have already entered into the era of "support no longer available". That would be a real bummer.:(

I also cannot figure out what the "special offering" is. It seems to me that $699 has been the going price for the scroll saw for some time.
Remember, shopsmith is a production on demand company these days. They aren't in the business of making/selling hundreds of an SPT a month. As such, they are probably going to batch up orders. I imagine this will eventually be similar to the one-time-tool thing that woodpecker does, or the batching you get from smaller companies.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

damagi wrote:Remember, shopsmith is a production on demand company these days. They aren't in the business of making/selling hundreds of an SPT a month. As such, they are probably going to batch up orders. I imagine this will eventually be similar to the one-time-tool thing that woodpecker does, or the batching you get from smaller companies.
Oh how I hope you are right.

If they are just gearing up to build what they have stock for with the intentions of still another build some day in the future, that would be great news and would eliminate all of my concerns.

I just hate to think that they might be discontinuing production and with it the support inventory.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
rpd
Platinum Member

Spammer?

Post by rpd »

stonjohn4 wrote:I'm talking about the black thing in the middle of the photo - anyone know what it is? Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the thing in the upper left corner is either - the thing right above the miter extension table. Here's another photo they posted:

Based on the following points I suspect that stonjohn4 is a spammer
- this was stonjohn4 's first and only post
- prior to stonjohn4 there was no activity on this post since Dec 19
- the text of stonjohn4 's post is confusing because it was cut and pasted from the first post in a totally unrelated thread. SS Mystery Part
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:Based on the following points I suspect that stonjohn4 is a spammer
- this was stonjohn4 's first and only post
- prior to stonjohn4 there was no activity on this post since Dec 19
- the text of stonjohn4 's post is confusing because it was cut and pasted from the first post in a totally unrelated thread. SS Mystery Part
My reaction as well!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

damagi wrote:Remember, shopsmith is a production on demand company these days. They aren't in the business of making/selling hundreds of an SPT a month. As such, they are probably going to batch up orders. I imagine this will eventually be similar to the one-time-tool thing that woodpecker does, or the batching you get from smaller companies.
I have to agree with this. I ordered my Scroll Saw a couple of years back and had to wait almost three months before getting it. They more than likely have to have a minimum number to do a production run and these are the extras from a run.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gampa wrote:I have to agree with this. I ordered my Scroll Saw a couple of years back and had to wait almost three months before getting it. They more than likely have to have a minimum number to do a production run and these are the extras from a run.
If they have 'extras', why do they need another 'run'.

Methinks there is more to this. New/altered design?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange