Jigsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcoder
Gold Member

Jigsaw

Post by rcoder »

I have an older jig saw (not the scroll saw) that has seen many years of use. The threads on the blade holders are showing considerable wear. I probably can drill them out and use a larger tap but would like to find newer ones??

I recently put new bearings and seals in it and it works like new.

Perhaps one of you have a retired jig saw and would part out and sell me the upper and lower blade holders.

Thanks,
Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Can you hit it with a welder? Fill the holes, drill and retap? If you do this, just don't cool the weld with water, let it stay hot as long as possible. Throw a couple towels on the weld after you weld it. Let it cool slowly to prevent any hardening. Then just redrill and tap it. I have the jigsaw and if I'm looking at the holder you describe it shouldn't be a big deal.
rcoder
Gold Member

pot metal?

Post by rcoder »

I don't think there is enough steel in it.

Bob
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

rcoder wrote:I have an older jig saw (not the scroll saw) that has seen many years of use. The threads on the blade holders are showing considerable wear. I probably can drill them out and use a larger tap but would like to find newer ones??

I recently put new bearings and seals in it and it works like new.

Perhaps one of you have a retired jig saw and would part out and sell me the upper and lower blade holders.

Thanks,
Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ
I have a jig saw that I will be parting out soon - contact me offline...
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
sunset22
Gold Member

Missing the boat

Post by sunset22 »

My thoughts are that SS is missing the boat.
Think of all the Jigsaws out there that shopsmith could be selling replacement parts for. I guess they just want to sell new attachments. On my last order there was about 25.00 worth of parts they no longer stocked.

Sunset22
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sunset22 wrote:My thoughts are that SS is missing the boat.
Think of all the Jigsaws out there that shopsmith could be selling replacement parts for. I guess they just want to sell new attachments. On my last order there was about 25.00 worth of parts they no longer stocked.

Sunset22
How many of those $25 orders for 'seldom needed repair parts' do you think they need to cover the cost of maintaining an inventory.

The Fixed Cost of Inventory

Warehouse space
Manpower
Cost of Goods in Inventory
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

When there making 100% to 500% profit or more, on each part. It would pay to store the parts which would not take up that much storage. The large items like the arm, housing and table would not require a large inventory. Maybe they don't keep any of them. The common small replacement parts like the knobs do not take up much space. They do still have gaskets, which is nice. I am just one person with one order. There are 50 states times 10 orders a month from each state times 25 is 12,500. That does not incude international sales. At least half in net gain. So an extra 6,000 plus a month. It is not big sales, but it is still sales.

Sunset22
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sunset22 wrote:When there making 100% to 500% profit or more, on each part. It would pay to store the parts which would not take up that much storage. The large items like the arm, housing and table would not require a large inventory. Maybe they don't keep any of them. The common small replacement parts like the knobs do not take up much space. They do still have gaskets, which is nice. I am just one person with one order. There are 50 states times 10 orders a month from each state times 25 is 12,500. That does not incude international sales. At least half in net gain. So an extra 6,000 plus a month. It is not big sales, but it is still sales.

Sunset22

I have a feeling that if your numbers could be validated, they would be doing exactly what you are suggesting.

How many of these older machines that would be supported by this inventory even exist? How many were even sold? Real numbers might be surprising.

This chart would be a good base upon which to work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Boy oh boy did this get off topic. My request was to perhaps buy parts from someone who might be parting one (jigsaw) out.

I appreciate all the interesting comments but they are not the point of the original post.

I also think you might be beating a dead horse as this has been ranted before.

Bob
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

Yes, I agree. I lost a knob and tried to order one. I would 10.00 to 15.00 for a knob that cost them like a 1.00 to make. Here I go again. I ended up making one. So with your little problem maybe there is a product like jd weld you could smear on the threads and retap. I have been pretty impressed with stuff. Another thought would be to use a threaded bushing of the proper size. Good luck with your little project.

Sunset22