Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Wonder why the instructions are being updated.:rolleyes:
Now that is easy to answer. So that I can follow them.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Now that is easy to answer. So that I can follow them.

So that's why they waited soooo long to update them!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am adding a link to Dusty's more recent caster mounting thread. He has provided a better method for locating the new holes as well as further info on what dimensions he encountered.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=118686#post118686
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
emagnet
Gold Member

Post by emagnet »

Just to add to the collective knowledge base, I ordered the premium casters for my newly acquired 82 Mark V on 6/3. The casters were listed as being on back order when the order was processed on 6/6 but the delay was only a few days. They showed up yesterday. I used their templates and while I have not, as yet, measured the clearance, I am happy with the results. The pedals, as mentioned by other installers, did interfere with the casters. I moved them inward 3/4" today and now everything is fine. Still no mention in the instructions of the possibility of this occurring. This issue affects the amount of time and the equipment needed to install the casters and, given the growing number of people that have had this problem, I believe that Shopsmith should at least make mention of this issue somewhere.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

emagnet wrote:Just to add to the collective knowledge base, I ordered the premium casters for my newly acquired 82 Mark V on 6/3. The casters were listed as being on back order when the order was processed on 6/6 but the delay was only a few days. They showed up yesterday. I used their templates and while I have not, as yet, measured the clearance, I am happy with the results. The pedals, as mentioned by other installers, did interfere with the casters. I moved them inward 3/4" today and now everything is fine. Still no mention in the instructions of the possibility of this occurring. This issue affects the amount of time and the equipment needed to install the casters and, given the growing number of people that have had this problem, I believe that Shopsmith should at least make mention of this issue somewhere.
I don't know if I agree or not. Who manufactured the caster sets that have the pedal located too close to the caster to facilitate the new caster.

If those caster sets were manufactured by Magna or Yuba does Shopsmith have any responsibility to keep documentation accurate?

I agree that it would be very accommodating if Shopsmith printed a notice about this in their paper work but can we fault them for not doing so?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't know if I agree or not. Who manufactured the caster sets that have the pedal located too close to the caster to facilitate the new caster.

If those caster sets were manufactured by Magna or Yuba does Shopsmith have any responsibility to keep documentation accurate?

I agree that it would be very accommodating if Shopsmith printed a notice about this in their paper work but can we fault them for not doing so?

Yes and Yes [IMHO].

Ignoring the historical differences is just plain head in the sand and a disservice to those who continue to 'be loyal' to the 'brand'.

I am guessing SS considered the disassembly and drilling to be 'beyond a typical customer's abilities. If so, they should have said the update was not 'compatible' with older models. Considering the initial leg hole drilling 'instructions', can you imagine how snarfed up lnstructions for drilling new holes in the shaft and moving the crank would have been.:rolleyes:

Considering all else that has been screwed up regarding this 'upgrade', I am not surprised. Resembles the result of having a 'new hire' do the work for releasing a simple change.

Or maybe an older employee in his dotage!:D

But then a short time ago they had a 'dispersal' sale that included 'historical' items.

Ahem!!!! I know of a resource where ss could interrogate some 'volunteer' aficionados re 'older model' differences.:cool:

Hint Hint:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

MikeG
Gold Member

Lift Arm Interference

Post by MikeG »

I agree they should list it in the instructions. My 1980 unit had interference. I solved the problem by shortening the problem arm by 3/8" to 1/2" on each set. This was the recommended solution from customer service when I called them.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MikeG wrote:I agree they should list it in the instructions. My 1980 unit had interference. I solved the problem by shortenikng the problem arm by 3/8" to 1/2" on each set. This was the recommended solution from customer service when I called them.
Incredible!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Yes and Yes [IMHO].

Ignoring the historical differences is just plain head in the sand and a disservice to those who continue to 'be loyal' to the 'brand'.

I am guessing SS considered the disassembly and drilling to be 'beyond a typical customer's abilities. If so, they should have said the update was not 'compatible' with older models. Considering the initial leg hole drilling 'instructions', can you imagine how snarfed up lnstructions for drilling new holes in the shaft and moving the crank would have been.:rolleyes:

Considering all else that has been screwed up regarding this 'upgrade', I am not surprised. Resembles the result of having a 'new hire' do the work for releasing a simple change.

Or maybe an older employee in his dotage!:D

But then a short time ago they had a 'dispersal' sale that included 'historical' items.

Ahem!!!! I know of a resource where ss could interrogate some 'volunteer' aficionados re 'older model' differences.:cool:

Hint Hint:D
I'm sorry. Except that you believe Shopsmith has a responsibility to all of us "loyal die hards" - I did not understand a word you said.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I'm sorry. Except that you believe Shopsmith has a responsibility to all of us "loyal die hards" - I did not understand a word you said.
Whatever.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝