Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Post by robinson46176 »

beeg wrote:
ARCretired wrote:Would be if the SS weighed a lot more - but the design is fairly weight efficient. I couldn't do that with a lot of stand-alone equipment.

Might help ya if you move the headstock all the way to the right end. Then lift the left end over the transition crack. Move the headstock all the way to the left end,Then lift the right end over the transition crack.

Actually this is the answer... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-Sand- ... ix/3006081

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
ARCretired wrote:I should have mentioned that the alternative holes for the caster upgrade were already drilled by SS in my PowerPro machine. I still needed to add washers to maximize the lift for the best clearance to the floor with the caster upgrade. Having a slightly different hole location would have eliminated the need for spacers, however I suspect that the tolerances involved mean the hole locations can't be optimum for every assembly.

As far as the cam and mechanism design, the reason the cam has 3 locations is probably due to the foot operated lever actuation. 120 deg (3 positions in a full rotation) is as far as could reasonably be utilized in the available space and to have a lever reachable by foot in all three positions. The force required to actuate the pedal (if there were only 2 locations at 180 deg apart - an UP and DOWN) would likely be too great, unless the arms were longer - again too much space is required, and accessibility probably wouldn't work. Other types of mechanisms would probably be more complex - say a rack & ratcheting pinion. The SS design is clever, we just have to deal with the tolerance adjustment, or careful hole location if you drill them. And even larger casters with more clearance will still not roll over every obstacle. So fairly clean floors are a good habit anyway.

When I roll my SS out of the garage and into the driveway during warm weather, I have to lift each end for a few inches so the rollers won't fall into the transition crack. not too big a deal. Would be if the SS weighed a lot more - but the design is fairly weight efficient. I couldn't do that with a lot of stand-alone equipment.
I am curious what the c-c distance is between the two sets of holes in the power pro model. i.e. the distance above the lowest hole is to the next one up.(c-c)

BTW the lobes and the foot pedal 'levers' are not 120° apart. Closer t0 90 90 180.
This does not answer your specific question but it shows the dimensions that I have taken "from the template" that came with my latest set of 3" casters. It is my belief that Shopsmith would tell us that the 1 23/32" dimensions are really supposed to be 1 3/4" while the 2 15/32" separation is supposed to be 2 1/2". This would make the 4 3/16" measurement 4 1/4". Nice round numbers.
Latest 3 inch Casters.png
Latest 3 inch Casters.png (80.66 KiB) Viewed 14848 times
The vertical line (orientation) shown in the above drawing might be misleading. It should actually slope inward at an angle of 22.6°.
Last edited by dusty on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have never been certain that I was getting the same lift characteristics as were others here on the forum. Today I approached this just a little bit different than I have done before.

All this amounts to is the same sort of measurement with a different reference point. I have trouble getting up off of the floor these days so I avoid tasks that necessitate I get down there. I can't see how far the legs lifts off the floor! I can see a straight edge resting on top of the Way Tubes.

The top of the Way Tubes on my machine measure 23 3/16" above the floor when the legs are on the floor. One click up from there puts the top of the Way Tubes at 23 5/16". This is 1/8" up from the at rest position. I think this is consistent with reports by others and with the instruction sheet that came with the new casters. I did not do this according to the instruction sheet because Shopsmith tells me to turn the Mark V upside down (legs pointing up). No way is that happening.

One more click up puts the top of the Way Tubes at 23 1/2". I did this three times to confirm my numbers. The last time I turned on all available lights in the shop area just to make sure I was reading it right. Can't see like I used to either. This is a 3/16" rise from "one click". That is 1/16" different than others report. Since this is primarily the result of the lift cam, I stopped at that point. Besides, it is 1/16" higher than expected. If it had been lower, I would have thought "worn cam".

At any rate, one click up allows me to move the machine around the shop and it drags only occasionally on my less than flat floor. Two clicks up and I have to be careful that it does not roll away from me.

When I get to the new house (where ever that is), I hope the floor is not only flat but also level. This house originally had a car port and the floor was intentionally sloped. We converted it to a garage (then my shop) without doing anything to the floor. The houses that we are looking at to buy all have garages and I hope flat, nearly level floors.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ARCretired
Gold Member

Post by ARCretired »

robinson46176 wrote:
beeg wrote:
ARCretired wrote:Would be if the SS weighed a lot more - but the design is fairly weight efficient. I couldn't do that with a lot of stand-alone equipment.

Good suggestion for someday when I have trouble lifting the SS with the motor centered (or not centered). For now, thankfully, not needed.

By the way, I measured my clearance to the floor with the casters all the way down. I have almost exactly 1/2" on both ends. The washers I installed are 1/8" thick. They may have been included with the upgrade, don't remember. So without the washers I would have 3/8" clearance on a perfectly flat & level floor. I remember the legs nearly rubbing the floor, which is sloped in the center for a drain, prior to the washer.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:I have never been certain that I was getting the same lift characteristics as were others here on the forum. Today I approached this just a little bit different than I have done before.

All this amounts to is the same sort of measurement with a different reference point. I have trouble getting up off of the floor these days so I avoid tasks that necessitate I get down there. I can't see how far the legs lifts off the floor! I can see a straight edge resting on top of the Way Tubes.

The top of the Way Tubes on my machine measure 23 3/16" above the floor when the legs are on the floor. One click up from there puts the top of the Way Tubes at 23 5/16". This is 1/8" up from the at rest position. I think this is consistent with reports by others and with the instruction sheet that came with the new casters. I did not do this according to the instruction sheet because Shopsmith tells me to turn the Mark V upside down (legs pointing up). No way is that happening.

One more click up puts the top of the Way Tubes at 23 1/2". I did this three times to confirm my numbers. The last time I turned on all available lights in the shop area just to make sure I was reading it right. Can't see like I used to either. This is a 3/16" rise from "one click". That is 1/16" different than others report. Since this is primarily the result of the lift cam, I stopped at that point. Besides, it is 1/16" higher than expected. If it had been lower, I would have thought "worn cam".

At any rate, one click up allows me to move the machine around the shop and it drags only occasionally on my less than flat floor. Two clicks up and I have to be careful that it does not roll away from me.

When I get to the new house (where ever that is), I hope the floor is not only flat but also level. This house originally had a car port and the floor was intentionally sloped. We converted it to a garage (then my shop) without doing anything to the floor. The houses that we are looking at to buy all have garages and I hope flat, nearly level floors.

Dusty like you I try not to get down on the floor. I got casters fro Christmas and trying to decide how to do the installation. How do you do your?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As a general note to people posting to this or other treads and don't go back and read or reread the earlier posts.......... you should.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
dusty wrote:I have never been certain that I was getting the same lift characteristics as were others here on the forum. Today I approached this just a little bit different than I have done before.

Dusty like you I try not to get down on the floor. I got casters fro Christmas and trying to decide how to do the installation. How do you do your?
Any way that you can get the legs up off of the floor far enough to allow the caster assembly to be removed from the legs will work. I have a trash barrel that slides under the Bench Tubes of a Shopsmith setting on its legs. A bottle jack on top of the barrel allows me to use a bottle jack to lift the Way Tubes. That done, I just remove the caster assembly and begin the redrilling process.

I think this could be done without lifting the legs off the floor. All that is necessary is that you remove the caster assembly from the legs.
The Needed Lift-800x600.jpg
The Needed Lift-800x600.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 14753 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How does lifting the way tubes help caster removal/replacement/drilling holes? :D ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:How does lifting the way tubes help caster removal/replacement/drilling holes? :D ;)
It gives one a bit more room to work in. The caster assembly is quite well fitted into the legs.

However, like I said "I think this could be done without lifting the legs off the floor. All that is necessary is that you remove the caster assembly from the legs".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty