Saw Stop makes local paper

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Saw Stop makes local paper

Post by ryanbp01 »

Yesterday's paper had an article about table saw safety. You can access it at http://www.journalgazette.net. If it doesn't come up, type in table saw in the search box.

BPR
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

Well written article highlighting the facts. I have to give this journalist credit for staying impartial and describing both sides of the story. Plus, I have not heard the issue about problems with detecting wet/treated wood versus an appendage.

However, when I see statements like this with out back-up documentation as to source;
"cited statistics that the saws cause about 36,000 injuries a year, with about 10 percent resulting in amputation". I tend to take them with a grain of salt. You have to question the credibility of those numbers. How were these numbers generated, where were they pulled from, etc? They also don't specify table saws which is really what we are talking about here. Are these injuries from circular saws, band saws, reciprocating saws, chainsaws, etc or all of the above? What about handsaws? And, are these numbers just from within the US only?
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I was looking at the Saw Stop at my local Woodcraft store and the salesman told be about how you must disable the detection (of body parts) if you plan to cut wet wood. My thoughts were:

1. I'd really be mad if I forgot to disable the detection and cut a piece of wet wood, costing me a new blade and the replacement part for the Saw Stop.

2. I'd really be mad if I forgot to re-enable the detection device and cut a piece of my finger off.

Maybe it automatically re-enables each time you start the saw - not sure about that.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

mountainbreeze wrote:I was looking at the Saw Stop at my local Woodcraft store and the salesman told be about how you must disable the detection (of body parts) if you plan to cut wet wood. My thoughts were:

1. I'd really be mad if I forgot to disable the detection and cut a piece of wet wood, costing me a new blade and the replacement part for the Saw Stop.

2. I'd really be mad if I forgot to re-enable the detection device and cut a piece of my finger off.

Maybe it automatically re-enables each time you start the saw - not sure about that.
Yes, it re-enables after you turn off the saw. You can watch the set of videos on newwoodworker.com to see more detail.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

I saw these in our local Woodcraft as well. My only thought was that someone has found a way to capitalize and profit off scaring the crap out of others. Every power tool has negative potential. :mad:
R Hart
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I'm not so sure it's the equipment's fault as much as it is the owner!

BPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wonder what OSHA, CPSC and Gass think of a guillotine?

I put this hysteria and profiteering in the same category as gun locks.

Idiots overlooking the primary purpose of the tool in the 'name' of safety!

Safety is in the mind and hands of the operator!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG40504 wrote:Wonder what OSHA, CPSC and Gass think of a guillotine?

I put this hysteria and profiteering in the same category as gun locks.

Idiots overlooking the primary purpose of the tool in the 'name' of safety!

Safety is in the mind and hands of the operator!
One can debate the pros and cons of having this technology mandated. I can see both sides of that issue and both sides have some compelling arguments. But I wouldn't classify either side as idiots. Also please explain how any of the primary purposes of a table saw is impeded by the SawStop technology? Even conductive or wet materials can be cut using the safety bypass on the SawStop. As for the gun lock analogy, I don't see it. Gun locks do tend to defeat one of the primary purposes of having a weapon, i.e. immediate access to self-defense.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

algale wrote:One can debate the pros and cons of having this technology mandated. I can see both sides of that issue and both sides have some compelling arguments. But I wouldn't classify either side as idiots. Also please explain how any of the primary purposes of a table saw is impeded by the SawStop technology? Even conductive or wet materials can be cut using the safety bypass on the SawStop. As for the gun lock analogy, I don't see it. Gun locks do tend to defeat one of the primary purposes of having a weapon, i.e. immediate access to self-defense.
Let's bring this a little closer to home. Specifically,if this condition is mandated, how would this affect Shopsmith's operations along with the Powerpro headstock? I can't see making this retroactive, however I would like to know if there are any plans on the part of Shopsmith should this technology become mandated by "Big Brother".

BPR
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I have no problem conceptually with mandating "flesh detecting Technology" into new saws. My biggest concern is mandating a specific design (saw stop for example) which stifles innovation.

I sure hope that SS has a plan. It would be in their best interest to work with Teknatool (Makers of the DVR Motor) and come up with their own advanced safety features. If the mandate happens, they're ready. If it doesn't, then they have a competitive advantage in the Hobbyist space. I think a Power Pro 2 with flesh detection and auto stop would be an easier sell to SWMBO/LOML/CFO than the current offerings (Which just isn't going to happen for me).
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX