Female Woodworkers

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

journeyjane
Bronze Member

Female Woodworkers

Post by journeyjane »

I just sold some large individual tools and bought a Mark 500 due to space constraints and the fact that I move frequently. Are there any other female woodworkers on these forums? I also have the chane to buy a 500 to 510 upgrade for about $350 plus shipping. Is this worth it and a smart thing to do?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The most recent wood be MissFixit.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

journeyjane wrote:I just sold some large individual tools and bought a Mark 500 due to space constraints and the fact that I move frequently. Are there any other female woodworkers on these forums? I also have the chance to buy a 500 to 510 upgrade for about $350 plus shipping. Is this worth it and a smart thing to do?
I can't comment on the price but I did the 500 to 510 upgrade when it first came out, IMHO it improves the tablesaw in the area of safety and dust collection and the larger tables help as well. Since then I have continued to upgrade to the 520, 520 Pro-Fence and lastly to the PowerPro and each time I have been happy with the money spent. If you think you are going to want to continue to upgrade it is cheaper to skip some of the interim steps. I think the two most dramatic upgrades are 500 to 510/520 and any version to a PowerPro.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:The most recent wood be MissFixit.

Do not make assumptions regarding a member name that starts with 'Betty'.:rolleyes:

Welcome to this here place. Check out the sticky posts at the top of the Maintenance and Repair forum. Any questions you might have will be answered quickly and usually accurately(when not our 'review board' will pounce upon the one in error so as to prevent propagating mis-information) - the voice of recent experience!.

Warning: There are those of us who enjoy life's foibles and are not hesitant to engage in a bit of good natured ribbing on occasion.:D

FWIW: SHMBO is a term of endearment!;)

Enjoy the journey!:)

P.S. I agree with Paul! Skip over 510 to 520 if $ are not an issue. More than likely you will want to go to 520 later.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Look for a website called Women in Woodworking. There a bunch of very talented people over there.
The best woodworking teacher I ever met is Susan Reid a former SS traveling academy instructer.
Bill V
derekdarling
Gold Member

Post by derekdarling »

[quote="JPG40504"]....
FWIW: SHMBO is a term of endearment!]

For those not in the know, the term is from 'Rumpole Of The Bailey', "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (the wife!). Didn't mean to step on your toes, JPG; but some may not know the origin of the term.
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:Do not make assumptions regarding a member name that starts with 'Betty'.:rolleyes:

That's why I did, since her name is Katy.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
missfixit
Gold Member

Post by missfixit »

you guys! :D

I'm back! I got lost for a while since my garage only has a 15 Amp circuit and I need a 20...so I have the 20A breaker now and I just need to run it from my box.

Then hopefully my Shopsmith will work. someday :o

I think he meant the "journeyjane" might be a man? I'm pretty sure that I'm not a man...
dusty
Platinum Member

Female Woodworkers

Post by dusty »

missfixit wrote:you guys! :D

I'm back! I got lost for a while since my garage only has a 15 Amp circuit and I need a 20...so I have the 20A breaker now and I just need to run it from my box.

Then hopefully my Shopsmith will work. someday :o

I think he meant the "journeyjane" might be a man? I'm pretty sure that I'm not a man...
You are probably better off now that you have had a 20a service brought into your shop but I hope you did not do that simply because someone here on the forum said you need it to make your Mark V work. I have been operating my Mark V on a 15a service for years. The run is only 60'-75' long and it is dedicated to the Mark V but it is #14 wire with a 15a breaker.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I bet he was referring to user bettyt44720. Aka "Bob."
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration