drill press vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sunset22
Gold Member

drill press vise

Post by sunset22 »

Hello all

I am thinking of getting a drill press vise. Any recommendations or stay away from. I am looking at SS and Craftsman.

Thanks for any comments

Sunset22
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have tried several models. I will not purchase Craftsman again. Far too many of their products fail and their parts are more expensive than even Shopsmith. I do have and on occasion use the one shopsmith sells, which incidentally is manufactured by a third party. It is efficient, works and I have never needed to repair it. I do not use it often, when necessary I am glad I have it. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

I bought a 4" Craftsman at Christmas for myself, and I compared the HF, Lowes, HD, and ones at Woodcraft. The Craftsman had the best fir and finish of all and was $15 cheaper after I printed a coupon, and picked up at the local Sears. It ain't no old-school Wilton, but it'll do for me. It also has the arcing angle, so I can make cool marble races.

I also bought the same sized Craftsman Bench vise. I think their all cr@p compared to what used to be made in USA back in the 60's & 70's, but what are you going to do on a budget?
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

I don't really use my Shop Smith as a drillpress. Mainly because I have a DuraCraft stand alone drillpress. But, I have one of these that I use fairly often. It does well for most things but there are times when a larger or x/y type vice is needed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/larin-dril ... n--4002266
smredleg
Gold Member

Post by smredleg »

This past Feb, SS had an e-mail special on their vise. It's a "wolfcraft" 4 position vise. SS adds the t-slot adapters. I do use the drill press function a lot. Just now getting back into my garage/shop. From what I see, I'd recommend it.
SS PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, bisket cutter & dust collector. Plus a DeWalt 735 planner, and router.
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I have an older table that has some holes drilled and taped into it 5" apart. They should work well for a 4" vise. I am still looking around.

Sunset22