Project suggestions wanted

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Project suggestions wanted

Post by heathicus »

A family friend is battling cancer, her husband had a brain tumor removed a couple years ago, and they are having a hard time financially.

My parents are organizing a poker run as a fundraiser to help them with some of the bills. I had been asked and agreed to build a "Cowboy Cooler" as a prize to give away. But, through some confusion, someone else is building one.

I'd like to build something to contribute as a prize, but don't want to duplicate. But I'm having trouble thinking of something else. It would have to be easy and cheap to make, and appeal to "biker" type people.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

I saw a video once of a guy that took apart inexpensive travel mugs. He replaced the outer sleeve he removed with a turned wooden sleeve out of spalted Maple. I thought that was a neat idea. I am sure that you could turn one that ought to fit a drink holder on a dressed up bike.

Or - how about a nice wooden case for collecting cards on a poker run? Would be similar to a wooden cigarette case... maybe with an inlay and/or woden hinge?

Just thinking out loud...

Geo
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

How about some fancy plaques? One each for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

A wall rack for helmets?

Wood saddlebags? Oakay, maybe knot!:rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

After talking to my mom again last night, these aren't prizes for the winner(s) that she's asking me for. These are additional items that will be auctioned off, or maybe raffled with a winner drawn.

I saw this bandsaw box on Lumberjocks and think I might give something like it a shot. I still need to order a set of tires for my bandsaw, though.

Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Maybe a few nice picture frames with pictures of them and their friends on a ride. Others may bid on the pics (maybe give them back to the folks having a heard time, as a gift). Then they would win both ways.
R Hart
smredleg
Gold Member

Post by smredleg »

How about a curved bench for out-side, made of construction grade 2" pine.
I use my router to customize a msg on the stretcher. You'll also need a band saw, jointer and planner, but I can provide the aluminum brackets, pre-drilled and end pieces, for free. I've got plenty of stock. Sorry, but you don't get the jig I use to make these for my Vet's club.
I'll send the "plans," along if your interested.
SS PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, bisket cutter & dust collector. Plus a DeWalt 735 planner, and router.