YouTube Videos featuring Shopsmiths

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: YouTube Videos featuring Shopsmiths

Post by Ed in Tampa »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
rpd wrote:Straight out of Lemony Snicket - A Series of Unfortunate Events. :eek:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH7B4AewocE[/youtube]
Wow! This is why we have manuals. This guy needs to take a shop safety cource.

WOW!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

He is going to be missing some toes soon if he does not stop wearing flip flops in the shop. Aren't we supposed to tilt the jointer fence toward the cutter head for bevel cuts? We have a club member that wears sandals in the shop and we can't get to change his attitude. It appears to me that the gap between the cutter head and the infeed table is excessive.
We had to buy the SawStop for the community shop just to take the human factor out of the equation because a member lost a finger to the old table saw. (which wasn't all that old). Some people just don't think!!!!
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I hate to see this sort of outcome for woodworkers. I posted a response to the video with a link to the online PTWFE and a link to this forum. I hope he looks at both.

I don't have the shopsmith jointer but in general you don't take off more then 1/8" per pass even on this sort of cut. I know the machine can do it but it is not safe. And as been already pointed out the fence tilts the other way for this type of cut. Never ever get your fingers near the cutters, use push blocks and or push sticks. The guard is not a functional fence......

Anyway that is not a good way to learn.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

A couple of new videos from our friends at Shopsmith. :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C38gYgKVVI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcRM5V28E0[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Making wooden toy cars for a Women's shelter.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftac5C__SGU[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Good videos. That "How I cut my thumb off" video need to be in every high school shop class in america. So many learning opportunities in 1 video!
Paul B
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

moggymatt wrote:Good videos. That "How I cut my thumb off" video need to be in every high school shop class in america. So many learning opportunities in 1 video!
If it be shown, it needs to be used as an example for all the dumb things he was doing. For starters the fence is not a guard. One should not use improperly functioning guards(or brains).

There are so many things that he does wrong to talk about.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
moggymatt wrote:Good videos. That "How I cut my thumb off" video need to be in every high school shop class in america. So many learning opportunities in 1 video!
If it be shown, it needs to be used as an example for all the dumb things he was doing. For starters the fence is not a guard. One should not use improperly functioning guards(or brains).

There are so many things that he does wrong to talk about.
Iterate, please.

I see only one major thing he did wrong; well maybe two.

First and foremost, he operated without a "properly functioning guard". This is really what caused all of the problems depicted by the video.

Secondly, I believe he should have been pushing push blocks; a pair of them. Even using push blocks, what he was doing represents increased risk. When at all possible, the fence should have been tilted the other direction; however, the manual does not say that tilting as he did is wrong. It only warns that additional care is needed.

I would not have been cutting the bevel as he was doing it. I would have done it on the table saw and then, if needed, cleaned it up on the jointer making a very shallow cut. The long board that was working on presents a "work piece control issue" no matter what he does.

Everything said - no guard - no work.

Wearing clogs could become an issue but I cannot say much here. I wear something similar much of the time.

What might be appropriate here is a thread entitled "The dumb and dangerous things a have done in the shop". I believe we are probably ALL suspect.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The root cause of things he did 'wrong' is ignorance of 'the right way' and a fundamental lack of understanding of the tool he was attempting to use.

He did not understand the function of the fence is to register the workpiece relative to the in/out feed tables(he kept referring to it as a guard).

He 'inferred' that the guard was supposed to have a spring. I wonder if he ever tried to tension the spring(if he had one in the guard).

He plopped the board down onto the jointer with the cutter at the mid point of the board. Perhaps not typical since he was 'demonstrating'.

Although you state the 'manual' does not reveal the 'proper' direction of tilt for making a bevel, anyone who has tried it the way he did will quickly tell thee that it simply does not work(one cannot maintain contact with both the fence and the tables).

Pushing against the guard has multiple problems. The guard is a lousy thing to apply a force against the workpiece. One should never position parts of one's body in close proximity to the blades. One should never push in the direction of the blades. As he discovered pushing on the guard will create a tendency for the guard to rise up out of it's socket(it will rock).

But I think the worst thing he demonstrated was a lack of common sense.

He does not need to be around anything with moving parts - especially sharp parts.

An example of a lack of having learned to recognize risk how to deal with it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I for one commented to the user and gave him the link to the PTWFE and invited him to join us here at the forums. I don't know if he has but he now knows about both. He did comment back so I know he knows.

For those who are still wondering about the tilt of the fence wonder no more. This link takes you to the section in question with pictures and verbiage:

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/jointe ... #bevelcuts

This is how I learned to do it and I'm sure most manuals have the same method, pretty universal I would think. BTW the jointer we had at home had no guards, well if it ever did it did not when I knew it. It was a two function bench with small tilting table saw and jointer and a dual shaft motor, which belt you had on which end gave you the tool to use. I have never seen one other then the one we had.....

Anyway please keep the comments civil he may now be one of us here.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]