New Saw Blades

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

blade cleaning before sharpening

Post by swampgator »

Many times, the blade seems dull until it is cleaned of the tar and gunk. I spend $1 for a big jug of ammonia, soak the blades overnight, remove them and brush any remainder with a brass brush. Then I wax them just like waxing the Shopsmith. If they are truly sharp, they work pretty much like new. If the blade is truly dull on my first time after the clean, they go to the sharpening shed.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ron309753 wrote:$35?!? That's outrageous. I think my local sharpening shop charged me $6 IIRC. I would tell them no, and would tell them why, and would look elsewhere!

Sincerely,

Ron309753
I would look closely at how a 50 tooth carbide blade was sharpened for $6. I do not think 12 cents/tooth is realistic if done correctly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ron309753 wrote:$35?!? That's outrageous. I think my local sharpening shop charged me $6 IIRC. I would tell them no, and would tell them why, and would look elsewhere!

Sincerely,

Ron309753

I don't think that the price is outrageous at all unless you are using $10 saw blades from the thrift shop.

When I need a blade resharpened, I pay about that price and what I get back performs like a new blade. I send my blades here for service. They are capable of doing more than just filing the carbide. They won't work on a blade that can not be done right
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

dusty wrote:When I need a blade resharpened, I pay about that price and what I get back performs like a new blade. I send my blades here for service. They are capable of doing more than just filing the carbide. They won't work on a blade that can not be done right
Is this just for Forrest blades? I looked on the all over the page and didn't see anything that said it was.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rlkeeney wrote:Is this just for Forrest blades? I looked on the all over the page and didn't see anything that said it was.
No, it is not just for Forrest products. I have had my Shopsmith blades done there three time.

What I do not know is if they changing their grinding specifications according to the manufacturer. I have never felt a need to ask.

I also do not know if they sharpen blades other than those tipped with carbide. I suspect that there is very little demand for sharpening steel blades but that is just an opinion.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

No, Forrest will sharpen all blades. I've had Freud blades sharpened there in addition to Forrest blades.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

"Dusty" thanks for the link on the Forrest sharpening services. I noticed that they replace broken tips also. That is good to know! I dropped an older saw blade a few months ago and broke a tip off and just threw it away. I don't plan on doing that with my new Shopsmith blades but if I did I definitely wouldn't throw them away. I would send them up and get it fixed.
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

aloibl wrote:"Dusty" thanks for the link on the Forrest sharpening services. I noticed that they replace broken tips also. That is good to know! I dropped an older saw blade a few months ago and broke a tip off and just threw it away. I don't plan on doing that with my new Shopsmith blades but if I did I definitely wouldn't throw them away. I would send them up and get it fixed.
You can still do that. They will add new carbide.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty