Social Security Funds

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Getting back to the original rant, I just had to post this link. She says what she feels much better than could I.

[ATTACH]19950[/ATTACH]

Yes Dusty, She has a larger vocabulary!:D

And apparently is not afraid to use it!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I wish Patty would quit beating around the bush and tell us how she Really Feels. :eek:
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Well Patty hit the nail on the head regarding the Ponzi scheme aspect of Social Security. Obama yesterday said Social Security payments and Veterans benefits would be delayed if "Republicans" don't raise the debt limit, proving that those "assets" held by the Social Security Administration are just so much hooie, or B.S. in Pattyesque terms. If they were true "assets," the Social Security Administration would simply cash them in and pay the benefits on time. Since the executive branch runs Social Security, Obama gets to say who gets what and when. It's quite enlightening to know that Seniors and Veterans aren't on the top of Obama's get paid list. Maybe Seniors and Veterans should form unions.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:Well Patty hit the nail on the head regarding the Ponzi scheme aspect of Social Security. Obama yesterday said Social Security payments and Veterans benefits would be delayed if "Republicans" don't raise the debt limit, proving that those "assets" held by the Social Security Administration are just so much hooie, or B.S. in Pattyesque terms. If they were true "assets," the Social Security Administration would simply cash them in and pay the benefits on time. Since the executive branch runs Social Security, Obama gets to say who gets what and when. It's quite enlightening to know that Seniors and Veterans aren't on the top of Obama's get paid list. Maybe Seniors and Veterans should form unions.
There is a bond. Many veterans are also seniors and many seniors are veterans.

With regards to Obama's attitude, it is at times like this that we learn what Obama really thinks about Seniors and Veterans; especially Veterans. In many speeches and photo ops he praises the veterans and speaks of what the country owes to them and then, in the next breathe, he makes threat about withholding SS checks and Military Pay.

I don't know, does he ever threaten to withhold Federal Checks. I don't think I have ever heard him do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Dusty, in answer to your question, "Yes". We are in the same boat. For federal employees, they get furloughed until the payments are authorized. And, for those retirees, our checks are withheld until the payments are authorized. This happened in April 2011. My pay stub says my funds are to be deposited in my bank on the 1st day of each month. In April 2011, I did not receive a deposit until April 6. I cannot understand why federal employees are being singled out each time this discussion comes up. We are all in the same situation. FYI, the president has proposed in his annual budget a 1/2% COLA for each year for federal employees. They were frozen for 2 years. Now, federal employees have not received a COLA since 2010. I have posted the pay scales here but federal employees seem to be exempt here and other parts of the country. It's simply not true. Sorry! We get the same COLA's as military and retirees get the same COLA as social security. :) :)

Edit A: Civilian employees equilavent: GS-9 to Army, Air Force, Marine Captains; Navy and Coast Guard Lts: GS-11 to Army, Air Force, Marine Major; Navy and Coast Guard Lt. Commander: GS-12 to Army, Air Force, Marine Lt. Colonel; Navy and Coast Guard Commander. You get the idea. Blue collar or those who do the actual work get paid closer to enlisted pay.
Last comment is that much of the government work is contracted out at an expensive rate. For about 2 years, worked on contracting out/outsourcing jobs. Contractor come in and perform less than what we were required, pay their employees less, but the cost for the function is always more. Yes, they lowball for the first couple years of the contract then annually jack the price. When the outsourcing was implemented in 1956, it was supposed to be compared apples to apples. Not since 1992 has that been done. And, to bring back a function to inhouse, government had to prove the it could do the job for 10% less than a contractor. Rarely done. I've seen it done once and the contractor came up with something else to do that took more money and fewer employees. I have watched what we used to do as enlisted and civilian work force and now contracted out. Shoddy work at two and three times the time to get it done. NAS Pensacola has new T-6 aircraft that looks like something from Viet Nam era war birds. Broken panels, missing screws/fasteners, broken rivets, stress cracks that would have been unacceptable in our arena. When we did it, it had to be equilavent to brand new. Not anymore.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

pennview wrote:Every last penny of Social Security surplus funds ... have been spent on whatever the federal government spends money on. The surplus funds went into the U.S. general fund and got spent.
...unfortunately it's the taxpayers who are on the hook for supplying the money that makes these assets, assets.
Yep, there never was a "trust fund". There has always been, instead, simply a "scam".
Problem is, most people don't know (and don't care) that the government has no money, earns no money, of it's own. Most Americans cannot tell you (without serious, hard thought, which by itself will probably put them into some kind of g'ment disability program) where the gummint gets "its" money.
Ten to one you can ask the average citizen and be told that the benevolent gummint puts aside some of its hard earned money into that "trust fund" to take care of us common swine. And they'll think they are getting a swell deal!

And it is no accident, this misinformation. One of the finest examples of the level of brainwashing we've already seen was the NEA (yes, education!) calling for three and four year olds entering Mandatory pre-pre-school and it will be "free, government funded". And people buy that.
If they only knew that ALL welfare, unemployment, etc., comes not from some benevolent gummint, but from OUR pockets...

But have you ever had someone using EBT cards at the local market turn to you when he sees you have cash ready and say "thank you"?
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
derekdarling
Gold Member

Post by derekdarling »

keakap wrote:... And they'll think they are getting a swell deal!

Shouldn't that be a 'SWILL' deal?:D
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.