Power Pro Upgrade question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

cooch366 wrote:Good Morning,

I'm looking at a power pro upgrade and am looking for some opinions:

Do you think it would make sense to buy a new head stock
Keeping my existing one, with the possibility of using it for some other standalone purpose ie a fixed mounted planer, or stand alone drill press, sander. I think this would be possible by getting a couple of extra tubes, and remounting the old head stock.

Do you think it would be worth the few hundred $ to get a complete new head and to have the option to re-use the old one. Space in not an issue, just looking for some opnions.

Thanks Steve

I did the DIY, and sold all the left over parts to cover much of the cost of the upgrade. My experience is the parts are worth more than the complete headstock.

I don't have room for two headstocks so for me the choice was easy.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

cooch366 wrote:Good Morning,

I'm looking at a power pro upgrade and am looking for some opinions:

Do you think it would make sense to buy a new head stock
Keeping my existing one, with the possibility of using it for some other standalone purpose ie a fixed mounted planer, or stand alone drill press, sander. I think this would be possible by getting a couple of extra tubes, and remounting the old head stock.

Do you think it would be worth the few hundred $ to get a complete new head and to have the option to re-use the old one. Space in not an issue, just looking for some opnions.

Thanks Steve
I have a few suggestions so please check your PMs. Thanks.

Bill
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)