520 fence alignment

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Various manufacturing tolerances from different time periods may produce some SLIGHT discrepancies but NOT 1/2"
Some 510/520 tables had bosses on the edges I believe for alignment processes but mine has holes in the edges also for alignment but I suspect that the jig may have used tapered pins for alignment.
Bill V
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

Is there a way to attach more than one photo to a reply? It seems to only let me have one in que at a time. When attempting to add additional photos just reprints the same photo multiple times. Will attach one and go from there.

As for the fence, after playing with it most of yesterday and again this morning am convinced that it has been damaged (dropped or fallen out of the back of a moving pick up). It has plenty of adjustment, but all to one side (left). With the adjustment as far as it will go to the right it is only about 1/16" off to the left. I've found that by using one hand to guide it while locking the levers (bottom) front side first, am able to square it up rather easily. May not be perfect way to do it, but usable and not a major concern. Just have to pay attention.
[ATTACH]26598[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

magoo wrote:Is there a way to attach more than one photo to a reply? It seems to only let me have one in que at a time. When attempting to add additional photos just reprints the same photo multiple times. Will attach one and go from there.

As for the fence, after playing with it most of yesterday and again this morning am convinced that it has been damaged (dropped or fallen out of the back of a moving pick up). It has plenty of adjustment, but all to one side (left). With the adjustment as far as it will go to the right it is only about 1/16" off to the left. I've found that by using one hand to guide it while locking the levers (bottom) front side first, am able to square it up rather easily. May not be perfect way to do it, but usable and not a major concern. Just have to pay attention.
[ATTACH]26598[/ATTACH]

I assume you started here.
[ATTACH]26599[/ATTACH]

And likely first browsed, then uploaded.

[ATTACH]26600[/ATTACH]

But did you then browse/upload again?

[ATTACH]26601[/ATTACH]

You can attach up to five/post,
Attachments
post pix 1.jpg
post pix 1.jpg (163.87 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
post pix 2.jpg
post pix 2.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
post pix 3.jpg
post pix 3.jpg (134.8 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

magoo wrote:Is there a way to attach more than one photo to a reply? It seems to only let me have one in que at a time. When attempting to add additional photos just reprints the same photo multiple times. Will attach one and go from there.

[ATTACH]26598[/ATTACH]
Are you backing the 4 screws out far enough to see the entire hole?

I am having difficulty understand how/what got 'bent' by dropping/whatever. The fence extrusion looks straight.

Could there be a burr under the screw heads that is preventing sufficient adjustment?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

I must be doing something wrong with the pics. Thought I'd tried like you described, but....

Have had the 4 screws all the way out. There is just no more adjustment to the right available. Front screws against the right and rear screws against the left. Don't know if you can see by this. Front is to the left.
[ATTACH]26602[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
dusty
Platinum Member

520 fence alignment

Post by dusty »

Before discussing actual fence alignment, I would suggest that it is necessary to verify that the head assembly properly contacts the rails. Incidentally, the rails also MUST be perpendicular to the miter tracks (parallel to the front edge of the table).

The pads that separate the fence rails from the underside of the head on the rip fence all need to be approximately the same thickness. Mine are 3/16" thick with very little deviation from pad to pad.

When the rip fence is mounted to the table, the gap between the fence and rails (images 1 & 2) is 3/16" (established by the thickness of the pads. The pads on both sides of the rip fence should be hard against the front edge of the front rail.

[ATTACH]26604[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26606[/ATTACH]
Attachments
520 Rip Fence 005 (Custom).jpg
520 Rip Fence 005 (Custom).jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
520 Rip Fence 006 (Custom).jpg
520 Rip Fence 006 (Custom).jpg (134.07 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
520 Rip Fence 008 (Custom).jpg
520 Rip Fence 008 (Custom).jpg (175.15 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

Thank you Dusty. Everything there looks square. 3/16" slide blocks both sides. 3/16" gap between rail & fence. 3/8" between table and rail all the way across. There is a gap when the fence isn't locked between the rail and nylon blocks.

For some reason it won't let me upload more than one pic at a time. Just replaces the pic already there instead of adding another.

[ATTACH]26608[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

On a positive I played around on the lathe with some scrap from a project about 14 years ago. 1x6 pine boards laminated & turned to make a 4.5" cylinder. Just cut a piece off the end and started turning. Nothing fancy, but hadn't used a lathe in over 10 years and just wanted to make some sawdust. Like everything I've tried on this machine so far & can live with the fence even if can't figure it out.
[ATTACH]26609[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
dusty
Platinum Member

520 fence alignment

Post by dusty »

Nice work on the bowl.

Since the gaps are all 3/16", I would conclude that bthe rip fence locks properly to the front rail. Now we should make sure that the front main table rail is mounted properly to the table. The distance from the milling pads (all three or four) to the backside of the front rail is the same at each pad. If they are all the same dimension, then you should be able to align the fence so that it is parallel to the miter slots.

To do this, I have milled a piece of aluminum (could be wood) to fit in the miter slot.

With that installed in the miter slot, I slide the fence (with all four screws loose) up against the aluminum bar and clamp it there. Now I tighten all four screws and release the clamps. The fence should not move. It should remain in contact with the entire length of that aluminum bar. It is adjusted to be parallel to the miter track (or blade).

Saying that makes me realize that that might not be true. If the table has not been aligned to the blade per the Shopsmith procedure, the front rail would not be either. When doing table alignments, the very first thing that you should do is verify that the miter slots are parallel to the blade.

The front rail should also be equal distant from each of the mill pads.

[ATTACH]26610[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mogoo rip fence.jpg
mogoo rip fence.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

From 'Reply to Thread'.

Click on paper clip.

Click on 'Browse'.

Select file.

Click on 'Upload'.

Click on 'Browse'.

Select file.

Click on 'Upload'.

Return to 'Reply to Thread'.

Again click on paper clip.

Drop down menu will appear.

Select as appropriate.

Hope that 'reveals' what is 'missing'.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝