The Web Site

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

Edited. The second "URL" is a suggestion, not one that exists (yet)!
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

sorry about that :o
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Your telling me stuff I didn't know. woodworkingtablesaw.com? Where the heck did that come from? By the way, it's nothing more than a rehash of the table saw chapter in "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone."

I have to be candid here, despite the fact that Drew and I are contracted to Shopsmith. I am continually amazed (and annoyed) at all the twists and turns in this web site. Sometimes I feel like I'm lost in the Winchester Mansion. (See http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/ .) This lack of a logical organization, I believe, is what makes it difficult to navigate.

With all good wishes,
mreese
Silver Member

Post by mreese »

First, thanks to Nick (or ?) for getting the links fixed to the Accessory Catalog. It's a lot more fun, informative, and clear now to click your way through the goodies and look around.

The http://www.woodworkingtablesaw.com link is fascinating. I never knew it existed. It's the most detailed description of the features that I have ever seen. Good stuff! Great info! Wow, the pdf's are great too! Now if we could just get all of this in to the shopsmith site or clearly linked... This is the sort of stuff I hoped to see before I bought a SS.

Note to webmaster: The saw blade page has a return to previous page link to "router bits", while it really is back to the tablesaw introduction.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess you guys will be finding this some day soon so here it is:
http://www.woodworkingglossary.com/links.htm

Some of these pages have to do with:
http://www.shopsmith.com/links_2.htm

That should keep you busy for a while.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Nick wrote:Your telling me stuff I didn't know. woodworkingtablesaw.com? Where the heck did that come from? By the way, it's nothing more than a rehash of the table saw chapter in "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone."

I have to be candid here, despite the fact that Drew and I are contracted to Shopsmith. I am continually amazed (and annoyed) at all the twists and turns in this web site. Sometimes I feel like I'm lost in the Winchester Mansion. (See http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/ .) This lack of a logical organization, I believe, is what makes it difficult to navigate.

With all good wishes,
Nick
I visited the Winchester mansion and I think it was better organized than the Shopsmith website. I think the major problem was/is the Shopsmith site was done by different people, at different times, with different techniques and different goals. I believe there is a new web administrator that was just placed into position and I don't envy his task. But I do hope he understands the problems. More importantly I hope he is given and allowed to excute a clear plan for improvement with a clearly defined objectives and obtainable goals.

Nick I'm not sure how much skin you have in the game as far as cleaning up the website but if I could offer any advice it would be to say before any offer or special is appended to your sawdust sessions I would personally insure there was a valid link to a full description and picture of the product offered.

I think when something occurs as in the recent example of the Hardware kit part # 555714 offer that is linked to the latest sawdust session occurs, it tends to add a negative flavor to your work. As shown in another thread the only way to discover what is actually in the kit #555714 was to either leave the Shopsmith site and do a Google search or have previous knowledge that it was included in the section of the catalog on commonly used maintaince parts.

Neither of these methods would probably be employed by a new owner challenged by the Sawdust session to do some timely maintaince on his Shopsmith and who wanted to find out if he needed the Hardware kit to help him do that. I really believe the fact the link doesn't point to a page where a full description the parts that are included in the kit and a picture resulted in lost sales by Shopsmith.
Ed
mreese
Silver Member

Post by mreese »

reible wrote:I guess you guys will be finding this some day soon so here it is:

That should keep you busy for a while.

Ed

Ed wins. That is amazing. What's even more incredible is that it isn't linked to the main site. That is the most extensive pile of information available anywhere about the SS. It rivals any site about woodworking in general. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. Clear, concise, extensive. I'm getting the feeling it is the Woodworking for Everybody book, though I'll know when my arrives in a few days.

SS has got to use this to their advantage. These are the things that make SS great and you've got to feature it on your web site.
mlettini
Silver Member

Web Site

Post by mlettini »

ShopSmith was sending weekly emails with tips which included the tip you are discussing in this thead. They are available on the shopsmith site under ownersite/archives/woodtip archives/illustrated tips.

All the tips have been there for many years. Stop complaining about the site. Spend the time to navigate and explore.
dusty
Platinum Member

The Web Site

Post by dusty »

mreese wrote:Ed wins. That is amazing. What's even more incredible is that it isn't linked to the main site. That is the most extensive pile of information available anywhere about the SS. It rivals any site about woodworking in general. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. Clear, concise, extensive. I'm getting the feeling it is the Woodworking for Everybody book, though I'll know when my arrives in a few days.

SS has got to use this to their advantage. These are the things that make SS great and you've got to feature it on your web site.
No arguement that the web site is vital to any Shopsmith owner. However, this wealth of information that you have just found is also available in "Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone". Between the two of these and the Sawdust Sessions, nearly all of your questions should be answered.

You will never be through reading these. Everytime I have a question I find myself rereading info that I have never seen before.

Ed Reible lives up there in cold country; therefore, he has a lot more time to devote to finding all of these treasures. Keep up the good work ed. We need you, man.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mreese
Silver Member

Post by mreese »

mlettini wrote:ShopSmith was sending weekly emails with tips which included the tip you are discussing in this thead.
I apologize for being a new user. As such, I wouldn't be aware of things SS "was sending".
mlettini wrote: They are available on the shopsmith site under ownersite/archives/woodtip archives/illustrated tips.
I don't think that is true. I see drop-down menu containing 265 tips. I guess you could sit there and read them all until you find the one you are interested in. If that's how you who know about all of this do it, so be it. In any case, none of them link to the pages we are talking about.

The very helpful link given previously was to
where it shows all the SS info in one list.
I appreciated it even if you didn't.

It is, for example, where I found
http://www.woodworkingjointer.com/
http://www.woodworkingjointery.com/

Selecting "Jointing & Jointery" in the Category Search results on your suggested WoodTips link gives:

"Results for Jointing & Jointery
Sorry - No Woodtip Available."

So, I don't know, I'm stupid and I apologize for not being able to follow your suggestions on how to access the information.
mlettini wrote: All the tips have been there for many years. Stop complaining about the site. Spend the time to navigate and explore.
I was under the mistaken impression that Shopsmith was looking for comments and suggestions about the site. For example, the links to the catalogs didn't even work, which is where this thread started. They fixed those links. I didn't think that we were complaining, just trying to help. I'm sorry you felt the need to read them.

I have spent time "to navigate and explore" but I am stupid and find it difficult. But don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore about the site, so you won't have to read them. I'll leave this place to all of you who know what SS "was" doing and are more in the know than those of us who are new to Shopsmith. Again, my apologies.