New entry door

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

HOORAYYYYYY!

What mountain next?;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

And there was much rejoicing! Congratulations.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

horologist wrote:And there was much rejoicing! Congratulations.

Troy

That would be an understatement sir! The wife is beside herself with glee and truly blown away with my ability to get this completed not to mention my own lack of confidence before digging in. I am really psyched about the outcome and the storm door we bought will be the next mountain to answer JPG's question thanks for the kudos feels really good to complete something like this with minimal experience in carpentry/building. Plus it saved me a ton of money doing it myself.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Great looking FINISHED job there. Glad it was your job and not mine. :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

Since you did such a good job on yours and now you have one under your belt... wanna come do mine?:rolleyes:
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=================================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Nice work and I admire your courage! Doors just seem to hate me, and I will make all kinds of excuses not to mess with them.:o But I have another "fear". It seems that I never get to just do the job I start with. I was going to redo the paneling on the laundry room walls. Simple demo and replace, 2-3 days at the most. 2 weeks later I was ready to start putting the new walls up!!! I found some termites in one wall and door frame, that led to having to look at a joist in the ceiling. That caused a seam to open on the basement family room. I had no intention of redoing the wall behind the washer, but I had to check it. I did and found some " interesting and unique" construction in the wall. studs not nailed to the plate. The plate was buried in the concrete floor, rotted and had to be replaced. That tore up the wall in the bathroom on the other side. I now have three rooms to redo. We eventually decided put new carpet in the family room while we had the place torn up. My house is not all that old, but some of the things one might expect, like being " sorta square" don't happen all the time. It seem i always run into complications. My bargain wall paneling buy ended up costing me about $3500! The good news was that we found and eliminated the bugs. By the way, the " everybody knows" part of this is that there are not termites in Colorado. They are a subterrainen type and are not any thing like the ones back east or in the south. The wife had a total freak out, she is from the southern part of Indiana. Glad your project went well.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dlbristol wrote:Nice work and I admire your courage! Doors just seem to hate me, and I will make all kinds of excuses not to mess with them.:o But I have another "fear". It seems that I never get to just do the job I start with. I was going to redo the paneling on the laundry room walls. Simple demo and replace, 2-3 days at the most. 2 weeks later I was ready to start putting the new walls up!!! I found some termites in one wall and door frame, that led to having to look at a joist in the ceiling. That caused a seam to open on the basement family room. I had no intention of redoing the wall behind the washer, but I had to check it. I did and found some " interesting and unique" construction in the wall. studs not nailed to the plate. The plate was buried in the concrete floor, rotted and had to be replaced. That tore up the wall in the bathroom on the other side. I now have three rooms to redo. We eventually decided put new carpet in the family room while we had the place torn up. My house is not all that old, but some of the things one might expect, like being " sorta square" don't happen all the time. It seem i always run into complications. My bargain wall paneling buy ended up costing me about $3500! The good news was that we found and eliminated the bugs. By the way, the " everybody knows" part of this is that there are not termites in Colorado. They are a subterrainen type and are not any thing like the ones back east or in the south. The wife had a total freak out, she is from the southern part of Indiana. Glad your project went well.
Believe me every project goes this way. My wife wanted new cabinets in the kitchen. That resulted in me redoing the kitchen, family room, dinning room, living room and hall way. Along with some minor work in a guest bath.

Biggest problem I had was an overhead 3 2x12 beam had to be moved. When the house was built the kitchen had a drop ceiling and the builder used the dropped ceiling to cover the beam. He hung the beam from the walls and set the roof trusses on top of it. I changed the beam to set on the wall and hang the roof trusses from it. Plus I or should I say the General contractor used a Lam-beam. I got the contractor in because if I "oops" it my home owners insurance would say, "Gee you shouldn't have done that let us know how it worked out." If the Contractor "oops" it his insurance would pay to fix it. I did the rest. Except finish the dry wall. Learned long time ago. I can finish dry wall and it will look good. If a pro finishes the dry wall no one will every notice. I wanted the no one will notice look. :D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
jayp413
Gold Member

Post by jayp413 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Believe me every project goes this way. My wife wanted new cabinets in the kitchen. That resulted in me redoing the kitchen, family room, dinning room, living room and hall way. Along with some minor work in a guest bath.
That about sums it up! :D It is pandora's box for sure!
Very nice work Wannabee! You are much braver then i. You are right though, you most likely saved a mint in doing this yourself. Be proud! :cool:
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

UPDATE! BAD NEWS! Pandoras box has been opened

Post by wannabewoodworker »

UPDATE

Well my euphoria on the completion of my first ever door installation only lasted till this evening. We have been getting dumped on all day and the rain began to enter the house this evening right above my brand new door....:mad:

I had just finished trimming out the inside of the door and only needed to do some staining to complete the job. Unfortunately the wife went into the kitchen while we were watching TV and I hear "damn it the door is leaking". So I get up and go over to the front door and survey the situation. There is a pretty steady drip coming from the middle of the door upper door jamb. So I put the rain coat on and go outside to check the outer door frame to see if there is any sign of a problem out there. I get up on the step ladder and check out the upper drip cap and frame and it is all bone dry????

So I keep checking around and it seems that I have opened up another can of worms with this nifty little project. I knew it was a possibility but was really hoping that it would go smoothly and i wouldn't have any further issues after installing the door. Unfortunately that is not the case. The roof on the house is in really bad shape as well as the gutters and soffits. My suspicion is that the water is getting in behind the soffit near the gutters and running down the wall until it meets my new door and because I reframed everything the water is now coming out in a different path then it was previously. So I guess this weekend i will be climbing a ladder and doing some gutter and soffit repairing.

The roof really needs to be done as well and i know I can do that as I did the roof on my shed project earlier this year and it was considerably easier than putting the door in. But I just don't have the money right now to buy the shingles to do the roof with at this point. So I am hoping I can at least get up there and find the source of the water intrusion and just fix that area for now. Maybe I can make it till next spring and do the roof then. It just never ends when you live in a dump.

Did someone say Pandoras Box.............Sheesh now I have really done it.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D