small spline jig anyone?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote:I was working on images while JPG posted. I think that we are on the same wavelength here. That's scarey.

I like your concept and I see the issue with limited depth of cut. Here is an image that I think may depict a solution without changing concept. I would consider making the base thinner along with imbedding the sides so that the vertex of the v groove is at surface level. This approach would gain about an inch of depth in the available cut.

I would also consider 1/2" material even for the v groove and structural braces. to further reduce weight.

[ATTACH]13867[/ATTACH]

BTW I don't care for your color choices at all.:rolleyes::)
You don't like my colors??? What!!!!!!!!!! As you know they are there mostly so it is clear to viewers what parts are what parts. By the end of the project they will look like wood same as in the real deal.

I have also been thinking about going to thinner material on the "V", means I would loose the t-track but I could just route a 1/4" slot and gain back some of what would be lost functionally speaking. I've also though about going thinner on the base part, once I do a revised sketch it will be more clear on how much height is resulting from these changes and if more is needed.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I need to update/correct some information I posted earlier about the saw blades I have for cutting square slots for feathers/splines in corners of boxes using my jig. The Freud blade was a TK406, 60 tooth, flat-top grind, but the current version shown on the Freud web site lists the TK406 as having an alternate top bevel grind. The other blade turns out to be a Vermont-American "Lightning" blade with 18 teeth and for framing, not a Laser blade as I stated earlier. This blade doesn't seem to be available any longer, although I did find one listed on Ebay and selling for $28, a price that is probably three or four times what it sold for when I purchased it.

Both of these blades were purchased back in the 90s, so that may explain why they're no longer available. Vermont American was since bought out by Bosch.

Here are a couple of boxes (one sycamore, the other cherry) with splined/feathered corners --

[ATTACH]13868[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Boxes.jpg
Boxes.jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Art in Western Pennsylvania
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Finally got new camera batteries. Now for pictures of my simple spline jig(s). Not being a fan of making or using jigs, I try to keep them as simple as possible so as to not becoming time consuming by themselves. Just so long as the jig works as intended. I can keep my jigs for future use or throw them out. Nothing is lost either way.

Spline jig made by ripping a 2X4 at a 45 degree angle then glued to a base works for all splines. Don't even need a bar to fit into the miter slot,- just an extension on the miter gauge.

In this photo the small jig has been used to make splines and lately converted for ripping plastic pipe. It will be saved for more spline making.
[ATTACH]13873[/ATTACH]

This photo shows the longer ripping jig for sawing a slot through PVC pipes. It will be disposed of when through with the project.
[ATTACH]13874[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM2472.jpg
HPIM2472.jpg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
HPIM2473.jpg
HPIM2473.jpg (117.16 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA