speed reducer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrsawdust
Bronze Member

speed reducer

Post by mrsawdust »

I want to turn bowls of larger diameter. I have a Mark V. I have seen the speed reducer in accessories, but I need to if any one have used one and what success they have had.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I have one and have used it. It does what it is advertised to do and that is a speed reduction of 10:1. I have also used it to power the bandsaw. As far as turning goes, I removed the speed reducer once I got the large blank round. Even with the reducer, you still want to rough the blank between centers.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

mrsawdust wrote:I want to turn bowls of larger diameter. I have a Mark V. I have seen the speed reducer in accessories, but I need to if any one have used one and what success they have had.

I have used it to turn large logs that were not close to round. I just sold mine when I got the PowerPro since it goes even slower.

When I sold it, the person who purchased it know a lot more than I did about and said mine had some manufacturing defects from Shopsmith (wrong belts and some other issues) but it did not affect my usage.

So warning if you purchase one secondhand make sure you check out the insides.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Paulmcohen;
I have the speed reducer and I have never heard of the manufacturing defects that you mentioned in your post. Can you be more specific? I would appreciate any info that you can give.
I have only used mine a few times and have not had a problem.
Bill V
mrsawdust
Bronze Member

Post by mrsawdust »

Thanks for all the input, I have decided to up grade to a power pro.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

[quote="wa2crk"]Paulmcohen]

Same here

I purchased one at the Factory right before they discontinued it many years ago. (now back on the market)

Be interested to know what the issue is. And not just a buyer trying to get one at a cheaper price.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

wa2crk wrote:Paulmcohen]

I never had a probelms with it either but the person who purchased it thought I had modified it. He said the belts used were of a different type then specificed in the manual.

What he said exactly was
[font=Arial","sans-serif][quote="Paulmcohen"]Checking the interior through the inspection holes, I noted that the output drive belt was misaligned on the sheaves, creating significant wear on the belt and housing. When I separated the unit, I found that previous belt tension adjustments, made to compensate for the misaligned belt, had offset the idler sheave to the point that it rubbed on the housing, creating serious abrasion on the sheave and housing. The unit also has the wrongpoly-v belts: it has 2 headstock drive belts (#504170), as opposed to the matched set (#515988) specified in the manual.
[/quote][/font][/size]

As I explained this is how I received the unit directly from Shopsmith and I never had issues using it. I guess he was able to adjust the unit and was happy, I don't believe it was a price issue as the subject never came up.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
sunset22
Gold Member

That is interesting

Post by sunset22 »

I just picked up a used one from a guy that his dad bought. The mounting bracket was still stapled and in the bag. The belts don't show any sign of wear. I don't think the dad ever used it. I set it up according to the manuel, but there is a 1/64 in of wobble in it. Maybe that is normal. I have noticed that one belt does feel a little tight. I am going to check the numbers. make sure they are the right ones.

Thanks for the information

Sunset22
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

I just checked the numbers on mine 504170 for both. It cross reffence to 521681. The manuel shows the same number for both.

sunset22
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The next SPT I want to buy is a speed reducer. Just missed the sale they had last year and have been waiting for another. Think they are priced a bit high, but willing to go that route if in sale.

I want to use it with my PowerPro for bandsawing and maybe to turn large items.

Think the speed reducer will put an end to the bucking/slamming that the PowerPro does with the bandsaw?????
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA