My dust collection system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobgroh
Gold Member

My dust collection system

Post by bobgroh »

I finally 'finished' a dust collection package - i.e. putting a ShopVac and a dust collection cyclone (an Oneida Dust Deputy) in a single vertical roll around structure for use in my small workshop (which is 1/2 of a 2-car garage).

The first picture shows a mockup of the small ShopVac and the Oneida Dust Deputy.
[ATTACH]13790[/ATTACH]

The system works quite well and I decided to try to build a vertical structure to house these two items. I used some scrap pieces of 3/4" and 1/2" plywood and some 2x4's from the local HD store to build the structure:
[ATTACH]13791[/ATTACH]

I wanted to stack everything to minimize the floor space so the Dust Deputy is on the bottom and the ShopVac is just 'stuck' on the top. I also added wheels to the bottom so the whole thing is easy to move around the shop. Here are two shots of the final assembly with nothing mounted:
[ATTACH]13792[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]13794[/ATTACH]
And here is a shot with everything (so far) tucked in place.
[ATTACH]13793[/ATTACH]

It works nicely. I will be adding some more 'accessories' as I use it and find out what might make it work for me better (e.g. a basket to hold dust collection accessories, an ac outlet box with an extension cord). And I do have to apologize for the truly ugly wood stain used! I was just using up what I had available.
Attachments
C_MockUpSmall.jpg
C_MockUpSmall.jpg (346.45 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
C_CycloneInPlace_Small.jpg
C_CycloneInPlace_Small.jpg (213.14 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
C_FinalBackView_Small.jpg
C_FinalBackView_Small.jpg (217.33 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
C_FinalEverythingInPlace_Small.jpg
C_FinalEverythingInPlace_Small.jpg (269.01 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
C_FinalFrontViewSmall.jpg
C_FinalFrontViewSmall.jpg (196.74 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
jon
Gold Member

Post by jon »

Bob, looks pretty good to me! You have given me several ideas for my shop. Thanks for posting the pics.:)
Beginning Sawdust Maker
MarK V Model #555540 Serial #031291
Jacksonville, Alabama
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I like it Bob. Shows ingenuity and good use to what you had available, and it serves the purpose you needed it to do. Great job!! Also thanks for posting the pictures. I am sure others will use your concept.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I don't see that you need to apologize for anything... :cool:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

I think it's awesome sir, and the savings in bags alone is priceless :D
R Hart
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

Would it be possible to completely enclose and sound proof the stand?

John
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

If you enclose it, you'd need an opening to vent the exhaust from the vacuum and this would allow vacuum noise to escape. But, you can get an vacuum exhaust muffler. Here's an example -- http://www.totalvac.com/2020-01.html?zm ... ap=2020-01
Art in Western Pennsylvania
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pennview wrote:If you enclose it, you'd need an opening to vent the exhaust from the vacuum and this would allow vacuum noise to escape. But, you can get an vacuum exhaust muffler. Here's an example -- http://www.totalvac.com/2020-01.html?zm ... ap=2020-01

"Reduces noise 50%". Get two for 'complete' silence!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

You must have put a muffler on this thread ....
2 for complete silence ...
You crack me up JPG
Thank you for that one. I needed that today.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Actually I don't find the noise bad at all but the idea of adding a 'muffler' has sort of occurred to me. However it is probably not that high on my 'to do' list at this point. I deliberately kept this simple hence the open construction. I will probably be adding more features as I gain experience with it (e.g. a bin to store some of the extra hose adapters and nozzles).

I do like having the ShopVac mounted up high - it makes it easy to hit the ON/OFF switch.

The dust pickup has worked very well with basically 3 stages of filtering - the cyclone, the normal bag inside the ShopVac and then the filter around the ShopVac's fan input. I also have the option of taking the ShopVac output and piping it to a dryer vent that I built into the wall of the garage when I was doing my renovation - that would vent any remaining dust outside.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)