table carriage

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

table carriage

Post by scottss »

I just got my 510 table carriage and set it up. But I can't get the table to go down more than a couple of inches. The gears line up it just stops right before poking out the bottom of the carriage. Nothing appears to be bent or twisted. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Need a little more info to know how to help you, Scott. Test your carriage with the lathe tool rest post. Mount the post in the front carriage hole and crank it up and down. Do the same in the back carriage hole. If the lathe tool rest moves up and down smoothly, the problem is likely with the table assmebly. If it doesn't, the problem is likely with the carriage.

Was this one of our upgrade kits?

With all good wishes,
DC Ross
Gold Member

Post by DC Ross »

Mine did the same thing, it turned out that the legs were off one tooth from each other.
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

Gentlemen- I had the same thing happen to me. The problem for me was the blade guard. I cleaned it, lubed it and it works like a charm.

Good luck!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes:
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

army1ret wrote:Gentlemen- I had the same thing happen to me. The problem for me was the blade guard. I cleaned it, lubed it and it works like a charm.

Good luck!
I have had the blade guard get in the way of the table lowering because it was adjusted too far from the blade. I usually set mine about an inch out from the blade. I'm not sure what army1ret meant by cleaning and lubricating the blade guard. Will the table lower correctly when the head stock is not under it? If so, then be blade guard is probably the culprit.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

It wasn't the blade guard It was one of the holes that the legs go through wasn't completely round. I tried to put the legs through with the table carriage not on the shopsmith and still couldn't get it through. So I made the hole bigger at the bottom and its ok now just a little sticky.