Jig For Flutes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cv3
Gold Member

Jig For Flutes

Post by cv3 »

I have started my venture into making a flute. I would like to have the SS router table .But it is not in the budget for now. So I made a jig for routing out the center of the flute. It worked out very well. I thought I would share it for those who may not have a router table and are looking into making a flute.
I wanted to router the center of a ¾ X 1 ½ “x 24 “board. Using a ¾ core box bit. I put the board to be routed in the center of a scrap piece ¾ “plywood about 8”x 30”. Then I skewed down one 3/4”x 3”x 24” on either sides of it. Fitting them snugly on the board in the center but not so tight that the board could not be mover back and forth. My router has a 5 ¾ “base. I measured out 2 7/8th from the center of the board to be routed out in each direction, placing a mark on each end and center of the each 3/4”x3” . I rip two small thin boards 24” long and placed them on the marks I made on the 3/4”x3”s. This created a rail for each side of the router and centered the core box router bit in the center of the board to be routed. Once the ¾ “x 1 ½ was in the jig I found that I needed to put a block at both ends because the board would move back and forth with the force of the router. One block I skewed down the other end I clamped in place. That was part of my learning curve. I had to discard one broad. After that I routed out 6 broads that I hope to make into 3 flutes to carve on. I will let you know how it goes. I hope this may be of some help to someone.
[ATTACH]13433[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]13434[/ATTACH]
Attachments
JIG 1.jpg
JIG 1.jpg (158.06 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
JIG 2.jpg
JIG 2.jpg (183.9 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
derekdarling
Gold Member

Flutes

Post by derekdarling »

HI CV, Flutes as in 'a fluted face', or flute as in 'I played a tune on the...'?

Derek
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

derekdarling wrote:HI CV, Flutes as in 'a fluted face', or flute as in 'I played a tune on the...'?

Derek
Flute as in sounds that makes the dog sing.
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Keep us posted on the flutes, I would love to get into making them but have not looked to closely into how. When you do this how about some step by step pictures.
Thanks again for your work and jig.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
derekdarling
Gold Member

Flutes

Post by derekdarling »

Here is a link to Craig Fisher's method for making a square pipe chanter. No reason you can't use a similar method: http://www.daye1.com/bagpage/makepipe/squint1.html

Have fun!

Derek
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Very sweet project, CV!! - A real melody! Gives a new meaning to tuning up tools. Thanks for your post and photos!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA