Parts for Total Shop

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

holygrass
Silver Member

Parts for Total Shop

Post by holygrass »

howdy,
I have been searching high and low for Total Shop parts. I recently
acquired one for a good deal, but I soon realized how difficult it is
to get parts. I need the chuck and key for the drill press mode.
I'm also wondering how to attach the band saw to the motor? There are
metal rings, which tighten down with allen wrenches, and it seems it
could be attached this way, but I want to be sure.
I also need the parts for the lathe component, as well as the upper guard for the table saw.
Will Shop Smith parts like these fit my Total Shop?
thanks for all the help in advance
holygrass
Silver Member

Post by holygrass »

if it helps my case, I was unaware this wasn't made by Shopsmith. It looks to be a fairly nice machine anyway, and a huge upgrade over my current tools (nothing).
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

holygrass wrote:if it helps my case, I was unaware this wasn't made by Shopsmith. It looks to be a fairly nice machine anyway, and a huge upgrade over my current tools (nothing).
Nothing 'wrong' with your case! It is just that very few of us have answers or experience with it. I believe the ss spt's will work with it, but I am not sure what need be done to accomplish that.

With a little luck, Bill Mayo will chime in here. At least he has had his hands on one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Scroll down in this post to see some of Bill's info on your machine:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... Total+Shop

If you have a 5/8" spindle, a Shopsmith drill chuck and all other arbors should fit. Here is a photo found in an old posting of the bandsaw connection (plastic connector between two hubs) to the drive hub on a SS:
[ATTACH]13221[/ATTACH]
Hope this partial answer helps.
Attachments
bs drive.jpg
bs drive.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

The total Shop is going to be a bear to get parts for. It is able to spin slower than the shopsmith so that's a help for large timbers or metal. But parts..well ebay may have some of what you need. Just check postings every day and you might get lucky.
holygrass
Silver Member

Post by holygrass »

The Total Shop does have a 5/8" spindle, so that is some good news for me. I'm assuming the plastic connector piece between the bandsaw and motor will also work. It seems like most of the parts that I need are simply chucks and arbors and things that attach to the spindle, so I just might be in luck.
Sure hope so, cause I don't exactly have money to go and buy more tools any time soon!
thanks everyone for the help; i'm greatly appreciative.

I think this total shop will make banjo building a sinch. i just need the drill chuck, connector piece for the motor to bandsaw (i'm guessing this is also how you connect the belt sander?), and eventually I'll need the lathe components (to turn my own rims!)

thanks again everyone!
holygrass
Silver Member

Post by holygrass »

Also, do you know if Bill Mayo is around the forum very often?

I went to his site and tried both of his contact e-mails, but they are both outta service. Shame, i'm positive he could help me, maybe even sell me the parts I need.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Available

Post by billmayo »

holygrass wrote:Also, do you know if Bill Mayo is around the forum very often?

I went to his site and tried both of his contact e-mails, but they are both outta service. Shame, i'm positive he could help me, maybe even sell me the parts I need.
Yes, I try to read the Shopsmith Forum posts at least once a day. I have a HF 7X10 lathe and a Shopsmith converted into a metal lathe. I am able to machine and repair some of the Total Shop (TS) parts but find it is often cheaper to replace the TS headstock with a Shopsmith one if the TS Speed Control Assembly is broken or bad and/or all the bearings need replacement. I have the remains of several TSs stored some where. I will be happy to answer any TS questions and offer suggstions along with parts and service if anyone desires the need of them.

I am receiving PMs from other Forum members. Thanks for asking.

Bill Mayo http://www.billstoolz.com

Email: annbill.mayo@comcast.net

1-813-764-8343 (after 10:00am & before 10:00pm EDT)
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
holygrass
Silver Member

Post by holygrass »

thanks Bill. I shot you an e-mail. I appreciate your time and knowledge!