Mark 7 vs Mark VII

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

e.friedl
Gold Member

Mark 7 vs Mark VII

Post by e.friedl »

I'm not sure how to put this but I think it needs to be discussed. I have the old Mark VII and I think perhaps we need to encourage a differentiation in this forum. What do you think about using Mark VII for the old machine and Mark 7 for the new version? I'm afraid of a lot of confusion if we don't try something.
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

e.friedl wrote:I'm not sure how to put this but I think it needs to be discussed. I have the old Mark VII and I think perhaps we need to encourage a differentiation in this forum. What do you think about using Mark VII for the old machine and Mark 7 for the new version? I'm afraid of a lot of confusion if we don't try something.
Ed

That is what every one should be doing!!!!:)

They should also be distinguishing between a Mark 5 and a Mark V.;)

However since even ss is sloppy with 5/V nomenclature, we have a few generations of folks who do not know there is anything but a V.:rolleyes:

So the VII/7 melding is an understandable result. A new 7 must be an upgraded V and is a VII. Right? Unfortunately no!:(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

[quote="JPG40504"]That is what every one should be doing!!!!:)

They should also be distinguishing between a Mark 5 and a Mark V.]

I try very hard to always refer to my VII's as "old" Mark VII.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Personally, I've found this discussion extremely entertaining. At least people can recognize Arabic and Roman numerals. I suppose someone could write the numbers in a completely different language to really mess with our minds, but that would be too cruel. I never really saw what the difference is anyway; after all isn't the main change to either machine the Power-Pro technology?

Now, just for a little fun and philosophical discussion, what should the new designation be for a double-tilting 520? It's not a Mark V/5 or a Mark VII/7.

BPR
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sorry! My feeble mind does not recognize the difference between a 5 and a V. Likewise a 7 or a VII. Oh yeah, I certainly can see that one is an Arabic numeral and the other is a Roman numeral, however when reading (and I do so without moving my lips) these numerals register as fives or sevens.

I'm in sync with BPR's fun question. IMO it wouldn't be wrong to talk about an "old model double tilter" vs. a "new model double tilter". Or a "510, Mark V Double Tilter", or a "520 Mark....
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I just want t be clear on the lineage of such things
Shopsmith 10/10ER BY Magna Engineering
Shopsmith Mark 5 By Magna Engneering
Shopsmith Mark VII By Magna Engineering
Shopsmith Mark V By Shopsmith Inc.
Model 500
Model 510
Model 520
Shopsmith Mark 7 By Shopsmith Inc.

a 5 can be upgraded to a 510 or 520 but is still a 5

a 5 is in most respects the same as a V model 500 except for the older greeny/goldy with the gilmer drive and larger bench tubes et al and other differences in the headstock etc.

a 5 or a V can in most cases (some 5s require updated bench tubes) be upgraded to a 7

a VII can never be 5 or a V
a VII can never be a 510, 520 or 7 (I wonder if any one will ever try to put a power pro motor and controller on a VII that would be interesting. But it would still be a VII)

So in our world
5 ~= V
BUT
VII != 7

correct?
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

terrydowning wrote:I just want t be clear on the lineage of such things
Model 500
Model 510
Model 520

a 5 is in most respects the same as a V model 500 except for the older greeny/goldy with the gilmer drive and larger bench tubes et al and other differences in the headstock etc.

a 5 or a V can in most cases (some 5s require updated bench tubes) be upgraded to a 7

a VII can never be a 510, 520 or 7 (I wonder if any one will ever try to put a power pro motor and controller on a VII that would be interesting. But it would still be a VII)

So in our world
5 ~= V
BUT
VII != 7

correct?

Just for fun :D From my "old" Mark VII... :eek:

[ATTACH]12828[/ATTACH]

Attachments
SS tag 2.JPG
SS tag 2.JPG (74.3 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Farmer you just had to do that didn't you LOL, I thought of that from my old MK VII did was not quick enough.
Love it. I also love this group.:D
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

GREAT!!!! Thanks Francis! This is fun!...... So--- a genuine VII is also a 7!

Thank goodness, I can still see the difference from a photo. As I think the older model sits on a big box and the new one sits on slanting legs.

Like previously said, they still read the same to me.;) So this slow brain, will have to see a photo, or read additional adjectives along with the nomenclature to tell the difference:) .
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

terrydowning wrote:I just want t be clear on the lineage of such things
Model 500
Model 510
Model 520

a VII can never be a 510, 520 or 7 (I wonder if any one will ever try to put a power pro motor and controller on a VII that would be interesting. But it would still be a VII) SEE BELOW

So in our world
5 ~= V
BUT
VII != 7

correct?

Pretty much!!! (Add Mark 5 by Yuba Power Products, Mark 5 by Magna American, and change Mark VII to Magna American And add Power Pro by RLF(?) Tools(?)).

The Mark V is a reincarnation (by SS Inc.) of the previous manufacturer's Mark 5.

There are minor differences in the Marl V from the earlier models.

Functionally they are identical(except for saw blade size).

MOST parts are interchangable.

Some attachments are model specific.

A Mark 7 is a Mark V with different table posts, end castings, and a power pro headstock.

A Mark VII is an entirely different design. Much is 'common' however.

RE: Mark VII to 510/520. Off the top of my head, That should be possible. The way tubes are the same, the spt mounts are the same(similar dimension...) After all the difference is carriage/main table, floating/extension tables, fence, tubes etc. The power pro will fit also!

Farmer: I would have been disappointed had you not posted that pix....again!

See! Magna American was as confused as SS Inc.!:rolleyes:

I believe trademark ownership is the reason for all the 5/V; VII/7 silliness. However when searching for replacement parts, the silliness becomes quite serious!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange