Shopsmith DEMO

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks Dusty, that is interesting. I wish they would come to the Minnesota State Fair again this year to demo the Power Pro. Shopsmith demonstrated there for many years but no longer. Attendance last year was 1.7 million people over 10 days. Give me a $500 discount and free shipping I may even buy one on the spot!

Tom
Don't know about the state fair but according to the schedule they are planning on hitting MN in July.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:Don't know about the state fair but according to the schedule they are planning on hitting MN in July.
Wonder if the Lowe's demos took place on those tentative April dates?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bigeddy
Gold Member

Thank you

Post by bigeddy »

Underdog wrote:bigeddy - Sorry I couldn't make it up there to see the demo. Would have been fun. Not sure if you ever make it down to Portland, but if you do you are always welcome to stop by and look over the shop.

Thank you for the offer, I will be out of town for the next 3 weeks as my job requires me to travel to the 4 corners of Washington State. I get to help feed the children , even tho my job is computer related, they need my computers to do the work they used to do by hand. So in a way Im helping and not just working to make some fat cat fatter. :) . I guess what im trying to say is when I get back from my travels , I would love to come down and see your shop. Thanks again.
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

JPG40504 wrote:Wonder if the Lowe's demos took place on those tentative April dates?
One of the two tentative dates you are referring to was the olympia one, which is the one which bigeddy is referring to indicating that he went and was dissappointed.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

JPG40504 wrote:Wonder if the Lowe's demos took place on those tentative April dates?
One of the two tentative dates you are referring to was the olympia one, which is the one which bigeddy is referring to indicating that he went and was dissappointed.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
bigeddy
Gold Member

more dates

Post by bigeddy »

damagi wrote:One of the two tentative dates you are referring to was the olympia one, which is the one which bigeddy is referring to indicating that he went and was dissappointed.

According to Mike he will be at Port Orchard also doing the demo. I don't know how much input SS has on this web forum but if they were to put Names and places , with the users permission I think we would be able to connect with other users and bring in new owners. In my experience of running a computer club for almost 30 years , I have brought more people into the fold because I have shared my experience with them. Alot of those people would have given up had it not been support from others in the club. Im just saying. All I do right now with my SS is make pens. Just my two bits worth.
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bigeddy wrote:According to Mike he will be at Port Orchard also doing the demo. I don't know how much input SS has on this web forum but if they were to put Names and places , with the users permission I think we would be able to connect with other users and bring in new owners. In my experience of running a computer club for almost 30 years , I have brought more people into the fold because I have shared my experience with them. Alot of those people would have given up had it not been support from others in the club. Im just saying. All I do right now with my SS is make pens. Just my two bits worth.
Power Pro not needed for turning pens!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

[quote="JPG40504"]Power Pro not needed for turning pens!]

Yup, a shopsmith is way overkill for just pens. Realistically speaking, you need a mini lathe and a small hand saw (perhaps with a miter guide)...thats about it.

damagi AT gmail DOT com
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

bigeddy wrote:I have waited with baited breath to see the new mark7 and today was my day. I left with mixed feelings. The machine looks fine and does somethings that my greenie won't , I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I know the guy needs to make money and he does that buy selling equipment, I won't listen to someone who constantly downgrades older equipment or another brand. I really felt bad for Shopsmith by the time I left the demo. The guy made it sound like Shopsmith is going down the tubes unless we upgrade our equipment one way or another. I'm sorry if he feels the need to do that in order to get sales but he definately sold me on the idea of not buying an upgrade. Let me leave in saying that Shopsmith has done a wonderful job with their new machine and I would recommend the product but not because of a Salesman like the one I met. I get alot of answers here because of the people that use the Mark V in the real world. I'm not sure the Salesman does anything but DEMO the equipment. I would like to hang around someone in my area that has a working knowledge of the MARK V and spend a day going over some questions. It's easier for me to ask questions in the flesh rather than one a forum. Don't get me wrong I love these forums. Thank you guys for the support you have given me. I spend many hours of enjoyment here. The salesman had a nice color catalog and said the only catalog I could get was a pdf online. Fine. I would be willing to pay for a catalog like he had. Also the shopnotes and other magazines I would be willing to pay for. I search for everything I can for Shopsmith Videos to see how the machine works but theres nothing like hands on. JMHO.. thanks folks
I think there is a degree of truth in that. I have been told number of people that should know that Shopsmith's fate will be decided by present day owners and whether they upgrade to Power Pro or not.

I think Shopsmith has pretty much decided that in the present day market selling new Shopsmiths to new owners will not support the company. There just isn't enough people willing to pay that much money for a hobbiest wood working machine.

Frankly I hope Shopsmith wakes up to the fact that Nick and his Sawdust sessions was Shopsmith's best way to introduce and sell products to existing Shopsmith customers. I don't know how expensive it was trying to do those live webcast, but I think that was probably Shopsmith's biggest bang for the buck. I know I ordered a number of products from SS at time. I saw Nick using them and what he was doing with them was exactly what I needed.

Plus I met a couple of the guys at the sessions (online of course) and I feel connected to them still, even Dusty :D. I think that is what made SS great in the past was a sense of community and I think that is will make SS great again if they do it.

Back in the day the "Hands On" mag is probably the straw that broke the camels back in my decision to buy Shopsmith. I know a few friends that bought SS because of the in store Saw Dust sessions. I think for me to buy today, it would take something similar and the online Sawdust sessions are it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

SDSSmith wrote:Don't know about the state fair but according to the schedule they are planning on hitting MN in July.
Thanks Rob. I emailed myhomeworkshop.com asking about their MN demo in July. I heard back from Mike Young, he said the dates are set, he just has to decide which Lowes store and do I have any recommendations? Of course I recommended the store in Blaine, centrally located between Minneapolis and St Paul, north of town and away from the worst of the traffic, and a few miles from home :)