Gel stain vs Regular stain

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I thought cherry wood had it's own "built in stain"? I don't know how to exactly describe it. The wood is already cherry color (red), then a clear coat should make the color POP? It would be like staining a poplar board with cherry stain??? :confused:
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

JPG40504 wrote:Can't deny the success! Looks great! Wonder what citrusstrip would make it look like? Your description of your method implied the wood is still 'unstained'.
I did some research before finishing this project at the FWW and Wood Magazine sites and the consensus seemed that cherry should have a sealer applied before staining. The main reason cited as to prevent blotching and excessive end grain absorption. I did some test boards and liked the result better than staining bare wood. The gel stain still stained the wood or the shellac on the wood but it looked good. The test with a Minwax liquid stain was horrible because it just streaked and I couldn't get it even. The wash coat of shellac was thinned 50/50 with denatured alcohol and it soaks into the porus areas more than the surrounding wood and helps to make the stain take more evenly.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

navycop wrote:I thought cherry wood had it's own "built in stain"? I don't know how to exactly describe it. The wood is already cherry color (red), then a clear coat should make the color POP? It would be like staining a poplar board with cherry stain??? :confused:
The color of cherry is all over the map but it does have the red tint you describe. The tint is rather subtle on new wood and develops with age through oxidation. The natural patina of cherry that you are most likely thinking of takes years to develop.

I also needed this piece to be a little darker than natural cherry because it was a gift and needed to fit in with other furniture in the house.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

navycop wrote:I thought cherry wood had it's own "built in stain"? I don't know how to exactly describe it. The wood is already cherry color (red), then a clear coat should make the color POP? It would be like staining a poplar board with cherry stain??? :confused:

IMHO the reason we stain is to obtain an end result that is not possible without it. It serves as an enhancer to the natural color. Natural is nice, but sometimes it can be made 'better'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I treat cherry with reverance, I only oil it (tung oil) and let the beauty of the wood develop over time. I built a number of items from cherry and each year they get prettier and prettier.

I made a cradle for my first granddaugther who is now in her 20's, it has been used for every grandchild since. Last year my youngest grandson was born and before that event his mother asked me to reoil the cradle. I wish I has taken a picture of it. The wood over time has become a rich rich red color that only nature can make.

To me the grain and color of Cherry is breath taking. Truthfully I can sit and just stare at natural cherry that is aged, sanded smooth and well oiled.

As for staining cherry I'm again it! As they would say.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

I have to agree with Ed. It seems a shame to stain cherry. Varnishes with pigments don't splotch but can obscure the grain, traditional stains can turn your project into a blotchy mess.

When I make my oval boxes, before I apply any finish, I like to put them out in the sun for a few days. Living in Florida helps! This helps to give the natural oxidation process a jump start.

Nick did a demonstration of chemical stains at the owner's weekend. I thought nitric acid did well with cherry and plan to experiment with this stain to color replacement teeth in clock wheels.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

tdubnik wrote:Ed,

I achieved the color I wanted using two colors of gel stain. I made a sample board trying different combinations until I got the color I wanted. Rather than mixing the colors, I applied a coat of Georgian cherry and wiped it off and let it dry for 24 hours. I then applied a coat of Java on top of that and it gave me the color I wanted. I used a shellac undercoat to seal the wood befpre applying the stain and allow me to control the amount of stain I left and it worked perfectly.
This is the same process that the owner of my local woodworking store recommend. The owner, Steve, Is also the finishing forum host on WOOD magazine site.
http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/Fi ... /finishing
He has a lot of great info to read on finishing. Go to his store web site.
http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

cincinnati wrote:This is the same process that the owner of my local woodworking store recommend. The owner, Steve, Is also the finishing forum host on WOOD magazine site.

Evidently there are many opinions on the subject of a proper finish for cherry wood. I can vividly remember the warm, friendly look of an antique cherry platform rocker my Mother had. I think there was absolutely no finish to the wood, just some upholstery.

Regardless - the results of tdubnik's method are beautiful! NICE WORK T.D.!!:D A beautiful chest, with beautiful construction and a beautiful finish! Steve's method worked very well!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Nice Work Tdubnik!

Post by charlese »

cincinnati wrote:This is the same process that the owner of my local woodworking store recommend. The owner, Steve, Is also the finishing forum host on WOOD magazine site.

Evidently there are many opinions on the subject of a proper finish for cherry wood. I can vividly remember the warm, friendly look of an antique cherry platform rocker my Mother had. I think there was absolutely no finish to the wood, just some upholstery.

Regardless - the results of tdubnik's method are beautiful! NICE WORK T.D.!!:D A beautiful chest, with beautiful construction and a beautiful finish! Steve's method worked very well!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My Wife and I built this cabinet in November, 2010. It is cherry with no stain. It got just two coats of urethane varnish to finish it. It is now 4 months old, and has aged from a quite light color when first finished 4 months ago to this color.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1299076802
Attachments
cherrysmall.jpg
cherrysmall.jpg (73.35 KiB) Viewed 3889 times