Motor Problem on a Mark V Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jamhard
Bronze Member

Motor Problem on a Mark V Greenie

Post by jamhard »

GE motor model 5KC39NG202.
3/4 HP
When I took the motor out, there was a lead broken on the on/off toggle switch. (I fixed the wiring on the toggle switch and its working correctly) When I took the motor down, some of the wiring came loose, and Im not sure about the way the wiring goes back onto the motor.
The motor has a start relay, and a capacitor and I'm not sure about the wiring diagram because there is none in the book or on the motor. I checked the motor when disassembled and it doesn't have a centrifugal start cutout switch. I took the start relay apart and found out that the coil must have magnitized the steel cutout arm that cuts out the start winding when energized because it will not release from the magnet when power is cut from the coil. I tried stronger springs to make it release with the same results. Thats why it must have blew the start capacitor and keeps overheating the motor.
I tried calling around to find a new relay in the Norfolk Va. area with no luck! The relay information is as follows:
MFG. General Electric
Mod. 3ARR1 AE7J3
MAX. START WDG AMPS50
VOLTS 120
CYC. 60
THIS NO. ON COVER 7 26 55
Can you Help? Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jamhard wrote:GE motor model 5KC39NG202.
3/4 HP
When I took the motor out, there was a lead broken on the on/off toggle switch. (I fixed the wiring on the toggle switch and its working correctly) When I took the motor down, some of the wiring came loose, and Im not sure about the way the wiring goes back onto the motor.
The motor has a start relay, and a capacitor and Im not sure about the wiring diagram because there is none in the book or on the motor. Can someone please point me to where I can get a wiring schematic or assist me with the wiring/troubleshooting.
I rewired it, because the way it was originally wired was that one side of the capacitor went to the run winding. I changed it to the start winding, and the motor ran, but it started overheating. When I put a load on it, the motor started cutting out.
FYI the capacitor blew out when it was attached to the run winding.
Could this be a problem in the centrifugal switch in the motor, because I have not taken the motor apart yet?

Thanks.

Not a good idea! :eek:

Hopefully moving it 'back' and replacing the capacitor will allow it to run again. The cutting out was probably due to an internal thermal protective device(hopefully so!).

Not too sure what the sequence of events was here.:confused:

Yes the start switch could be 'stuck' closed, but a more common failure is it becomes contaminated with sawdust and sticks open.

Hopefully Bill Mayo can help you with proper wiring. :)

P.S. The start relay(may indicate the absence of a start switch) is a likely culprit here.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

This GE Motor uses a start relay instead of a centrifugal switch.

[ATTACH]12043[/ATTACH]

The wire between the relay 5 and the capacitor is black, not red. I noticed the schematic of wiring is not correct, so disregard the attached images. I will redraw it tomorrow. Sorry. Contact me if any questions. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG (60.94 KiB) Viewed 9536 times
GE_Potential_Relay_Mars_550_551_3.JPG
GE_Potential_Relay_Mars_550_551_3.JPG (42.77 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
Scan_Pic0002.jpg
Scan_Pic0002.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 8851 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

billmayo wrote:This GE Motor uses a start relay instead of a centrifugal switch.

The wire between the relay 5 and the capacitor is black, not red. I noticed the schematic of wiring is not correct, so disregard the attached images. I will redraw it tomorrow. Sorry. Contact me if any questions. Thanks.
This is a corrected schematic for the 3/4 HP GE motor. All I need is someone to graph/draw this schmetic with colored and straight lines. Thanks.

[ATTACH]12050[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Scan_Pic0003.jpg
Scan_Pic0003.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 9408 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:This is a corrected schematic for the 3/4 HP GE motor. All I need is someone to graph/draw this schmetic with colored and straight lines. Thanks.

[ATTACH]12050[/ATTACH]
I think Jamhard also needs to know where those wires are connected internally also(he been moving em!).:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Bill I did up a quick and dirty color schematic of what you posted hopefully this is what you were looking for colors added for clarity.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Bill,
Here is my very quick and dirty edit of your schematic adding colors as you asked for.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wannabewoodworker wrote:Bill,
Here is my very quick and dirty edit of your schematic adding colors as you asked for.

Is this motor reversible? It appears as though it could be by simply exchanging the red/black wires at the motor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

I believe the 'red' wire is for the start windings.
When the motorstarts, the capacitor gets charged, the voltage causes the potential (start) relay to open, causing the start windings to be out of the circuit. this usually happens in less than a second. The start windings are just as named, to get the motor spinning.
Some motors use a centrifugal switch to accomplish the same thing.
jamhard
Bronze Member

Post by jamhard »

Thanks for the help to all the folks that responded to my motor problem. B/regards Jim Harding