New Owner - sorta kinda maybe almost - help!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I don't usually see it mentioned so I will here... Those various locks that hold things in place are very well engineered and if well maintained will hold things in place nicely without getting carried away with "cranking" them down. Do not allow Godzilla to operate your Shopsmith. :D
Sometimes shop visitors can be a problem... Some adults can be worse than kids... Even if you tell them specifically that you must not turn the speed control without the machine running some of them will still try to sneak a little turn or give it a crank of a quarter turn and then say "your right. It will not turn unless it is running...:mad: Grrrrrrr
Everybody "has" to touch the speed control and most everybody feels an over-powering urge to twist a lock somewhere on the thing, half of the time the wrong way...
I rarely allow shop visitors with kids. In fact I rarely invite anybody in my shop but two cats and the dog. And if she is behaving, my wife. :D
OK, my son (38) does have the run of my shop. :) And I hope to get his son (14) in there a little soon if I can drag him away from the computer...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Wanted to post a short note to Farmer and Bill Mayo for their comments in this thread.

WELL SAID!!!:D

P.S. O.K. You too Red!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
deadbox
Gold Member

Post by deadbox »

The maintenance and clean up has started over in the Maintenance and Repair forum, pics included.
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Proud Owner

Post by ksdaddio »

I originally puchased a SS 500 for $200, and with a little TLC, it became the "Most Favored" in my shop for well over 20 years. I used it to teach youngsters woodworking basics in 4H, and my sons made several projects while they were still home. I have since purchased a 520 and "loaned" my 500 to my son-in-law, and I also have all of the accessories, so my shop is fully equipped. Your puchase will have unleashed a "monster", just wait and see. I echo all that have replied before me. You have done well. You will never regret your purchase.