Newly acquired Bandsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Newly acquired Bandsaw

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Well after looking and looking for a bandsaw for my Mark VII I finally got lucky cruising Craigslist the other night. I saw an ad for a jointer, belt sander and bandsaw all setup on their own power stands and the kicker was they only wanted $250 ea. for the tools. So I emailed and got a response quickly from the wife. She sent me pics and I planned to go up and look at it today. It was about an hour drive from me just north of Hartford so not a big deal. I got there and sure enough the husband met me and showed me the bandsaw and beltsander. I really wanted the belt sander as well but couldn't swing $500 for both tools although i think it was a good deal. So I turned the bandsaw on and it started right up and seemed to work fine. It did not have a fence but no biggie. I gave him the $250 and I was on my way. I stopped at Woodcraft as it was right down the street and picked up a Kraig fence for the saw even though I wasn't sure if it would fit or not. I got home and it took me a couple of hours screwing around with the fence to get it mounted but I figured it out. It really wasn't designed for the small short table on this bandsaw but I was able to make it work barely. So I am pretty psyched I finally got a bandsaw. Now the one thing I noticed when making a test cut was the saw seems to be somewhat loud, it sounds a little like dry bearings possible the blade guides. The wheels seem very quiet and the tires just need some cleaning. So what do I have to purchase to quiet down this saw? And what is the best way to clean the rubber tires with? Been a while since I have posted but it is good to be back.

By the way if anyone is interested in purchasing the belt sander with power stand for $250 let me know and i will put you in touch with the owner. It is mint and just came back from Shopsmith for maintenance.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Beautiful condition saw there. Very nice.

Are the tires rubber or urethane? Either - if they are not cracked - can be cleaned with mild soapy water. I think you can grease the main bearings, and clean the guide rollers. It should all be fine.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

I believe they are rubber tires and look reasonably good no cracking that I could see but they are pretty dirty with built up sawdust gunk. I am going to tear it apart and clean everything real good as that is what I always do anyway. I would like to get the aluminum table as i think it is a bit larger and would fit the Kraig fence better although I am not sure if it is a direct replacement or not.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I just use a brass brush held up against the wheel while I spin the wheel. Then apply silicone spray to the rubber tires. Don't forget to regrease the upper bearings.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The alum table merely bolts on where the ci one did!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

JPG,
Is the aluminum table bigger than the cast iron one I have with this bandsaw?
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

beeg wrote:I just use a brass brush held up against the wheel while I spin the wheel. Then apply silicone spray to the rubber tires. Don't forget to regrease the upper bearings.
Tanks Beeg I forgot about the silicone trick.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Get use to the noise. Your band saw will never run really quiet. You may notice some difference if you change out the tracking bearings but it will be short lived. This band saw is just not quiet.

When I think it is noisier than it should be, I pull back the cool blocks and CAREFULLY stop the bearings from spinning (one bearing set at a time). If a set of bearings s bad, this will tell you.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Thanks Dusty I will give that a try to isolate the offending part.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com