rubber 'seal'?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jltrice
Bronze Member

rubber 'seal'?

Post by jltrice »

I have a SS 510 that I bought used about a year ago. I have recently noticed a rubber 'seal'? on one of the main horizontal tubes. It is about .080 thick (guessing) and 2-3 inches wide. It has apparently come out from under the headstock. Was it for vibration damping? Can anyone identify exactly what this is and where it belongs?
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

hi :)
That rubber ring is actually a spacer to aid in centering your saw blade in the insert. Its actually where it's supposed to be.
Do you notice any vibration in any of the speed settings?

Stay safe everyone :)
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Called a "carriage stop ring"
Some good discussion here:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... pacer+tube

I hope this helps;)
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
jltrice
Bronze Member

Thanks

Post by jltrice »

Oh. I will have to look closer. Are you talking about the table saw blade? No, I have not noticed any unexpected vibration.

Thanks for your quick and insightful response.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

jltrice wrote:I have a SS 510 that I bought used about a year ago. I have recently noticed a rubber 'seal'? on one of the main horizontal tubes. It is about .080 thick (guessing) and 2-3 inches wide. It has apparently come out from under the headstock. Was it for vibration damping? Can anyone identify exactly what this is and where it belongs?
Nick said it was to prevent the headstock from crashing into the carriage when the way tubes et al were raised up to the drill press position but not properly locked first.

My experiences are that that works to some extent. If the distance is great enough, however, the rubber ring will itself be crushed and actually be turned inside-out.
While I had the opportunity recently to have the headstock removed from the way tubes I ordered and installed two of the rings, one on each tube. I don't have twice the crush protection, though, because the new headstock is indeed quite a bit heavier than the old.
But I do have a steadier point of alignment when sliding the carriage to the headstock after putting on a different saw blade or sanding disc. I've got all my blades set with their own arbors and the spacers and washers necessary to make all of them line up perfectly and automatically with every change, with the help of those "stop" rings.

A good deal, for cheap.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;