Pen turning

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jltrice
Bronze Member

Pen turning

Post by jltrice »

I have a Shopsmith 510. I have not used the lathe yet. I am interested in turning some small things, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. Can I do it on my Shopsmith? I only have the spur drive center. Are there options for driving from a MT2 arbor? It also appears that the tool rest cannot be placed close enough for these small items???

Any insights to this type of turning would be appreciated.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

pen turning on a shopsmith

Post by RobertTaylor »

shopsmith no longer sells a pen mandrel. however pennstate industries has two that will work. one has a 5/8" bore that will mount directly on the spindle, the other is a straight replacement shaft that can be held in your drill chuck or the 1/4" router chuck if you have one. i reccomend the 5/8" bore to 1"x8tpi spindle adapter so that you can use most commonly available lathe accessories on your shopsmith. feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. i have turned about 250 pens on my shopsmith so you may know that the standard shopsmith toolrest works very well.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
jltrice
Bronze Member

Post by jltrice »

Thank you for your quick response and forgive my lack of experience here. I looked up the spindle adapter you recommended but I still do not see how that will help me with pen turning. What are you putting on the drive end? An arbor?

Once I over come this one, I will tackle the tool rest. My standard tool rest doesn't seem to be able to be positioned for pen turning.
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

Hi jltrice,
When I called PSI to buy a starter pen set-up I told them I will be turning on a Shopsmith and they knew exactly what to send to me. It was exactly what I needed too.
Their customer service was really good and they know about SS.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

jltrice
Welcome to the Forum. I just started turning pens. This Basic Pen Making Starter Set w/ 5/8 Mandrel is for shopsmith. And Here is just the Mandrel.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JLTrice
The morse #2 taper can be removed from the mandrel shaft and the shaft can then be used with the SS drill chuck. It is difficult to turn some pens with the SS tool rest because ther standard tool rest will not fit between the drill chuck and the tail stock. When the barrel of the pen is turned the lathe tool will sometimes be too far from the work and may cause a chatter. Try to get the SS shorter tool rest to get in closer. If you have a lift assist installed then the tool rest carriage can not be moved far enough to the right and you may find that the lathe tool will fall off the right end of the tool rest. This may ruin your project. In my case I use #2 Morse taper extension available from Grizzly Industries for about $10.00. This has the effect of moving the turning about 4" to the left to give enough room for the tool rest.
Bill V
hdtran
Gold Member

Post by hdtran »

jltrice wrote:I have a Shopsmith 510. I have not used the lathe yet. I am interested in turning some small things, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. Can I do it on my Shopsmith? I only have the spur drive center. Are there options for driving from a MT2 arbor? It also appears that the tool rest cannot be placed close enough for these small items???

Any insights to this type of turning would be appreciated.
Yes, you can. You need to get a pen mandrel, as others have suggested, Penn State Industries, model PKM-CL. I personally like using a live center on the tailstock]http://picasaweb.google.com/hy.d.tran/Pens#[/url]

Regards,

hdt
fiatben
Platinum Member

been there, done that

Post by fiatben »

I first started making pens (and pencils) about 15 years ago and all I had was a SS. It's been so long ago I don't even remember the details. I eventually got so enthused with small turnings that I bought a mini-lathe, but I doubt that my results on it were any better. No advice; everyone else has it covered and are much more recent than I am, having not turned a pen in about 10 years (life got in the way of woodworking, and I hate it when that happens!).
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

shopsmith toolrest

Post by RobertTaylor »

in this pic you can see the shopsmith toolrest.
Attachments
IMG_7028 (Small).JPG
IMG_7028 (Small).JPG (48.16 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Don't forget the live center.

Or you could also try the "Mandrel Saver" from Penn State

I got one for Christmas and it works as advertised.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX