English Layout Square

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

horologist
Gold Member

English Layout Square

Post by horologist »

I saw this square at the Woodworking in America Conference this past fall and thought it was a beautiful tool. I took several photos with the intention of making one of my own but managed to lose them. I’ve applied some of the great photo organizational tips posted by other members, but in this case went back to my evil ways and have paid the price. Fortunately Christopher Schwarz wrote up this square as a project in the December 2010 Popular Woodworking.

In our family we have a tradition, every year we draw names and make that person’s gift. This past Christmas I had drawn my dad’s name. The only problem, I needed to do all the stock prep in his shop. The laundry room was a disaster thanks to tropical plants brought in from the cold, and general mayhem due to holiday decorations and of all things a horse kick. (These days horses are not my favorite critters but my wife still loves them dearly.) To disguise my intentions and to cover any goofs I might make at home, I prepared enough stock to produce four squares, two in white pine, two in curly maple. The white pine was used as a test case before performing operations on the maple. As it got closer to Christmas I had to set the others aside and finished the gift square. I’m working on completing the remaining three.

Troy

[ATTACH]11275[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_6214 copy.jpg
IMG_6214 copy.jpg (259.39 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
JPG
Platinum Member

WoW! I can imagine what a clock case you make would look like!

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:I saw this square at the Woodworking in America Conference this past fall and thought it was a beautiful tool. I took several photos with the intention of making one of my own but managed to lose them. I’ve applied some of the great photo organizational tips posted by other members, but in this case went back to my evil ways and have paid the price. Fortunately Christopher Schwarz wrote up this square as a project in the December 2010 Popular Woodworking.

In our family we have a tradition, every year we draw names and make that person’s gift. This past Christmas I had drawn my dad’s name. The only problem, I needed to do all the stock prep in his shop. The laundry room was a disaster thanks to tropical plants brought in from the cold, and general mayhem due to holiday decorations and of all things a horse kick. (These days horses are not my favorite critters but my wife still loves them dearly.) To disguise my intentions and to cover any goofs I might make at home, I prepared enough stock to produce four squares, two in white pine, two in curly maple. The white pine was used as a test case before performing operations on the maple. As it got closer to Christmas I had to set the others aside and finished the gift square. I’m working on completing the remaining three.

Troy

[ATTACH]11275[/ATTACH]
In addition to gorgeous wood, the profiling(?) is impeccable.

What however is the purpose of what appears to be a groove along the inside of the legs?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

I think what you are calling a grove is where the piece meets the table and then you see the reflection.

It is beautiful, work and wood. Well done.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

All,
Thanks for the kind words, one of the advantages of an overall photo is it tends to hide the bumps and warts.

Mike is correct the groove is a reflection in the table. I didn't notice this until after I posted the photo.

Troy
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That same pattern blown up huge would make a really nice set of roof supports for a timber frame house. :)
Very nice, very classy.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:That same pattern blown up huge would make a really nice set of roof supports for a timber frame house. :)
Very nice, very classy.

I think that would be a waste of perfectly good curly maple!:eek::D

Troy: I am sure Ralph treasures it(it will either never be used or be used all the time).:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Troy

Very nice indeed!! I also would probably just admire it.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I'm the ole dad who is the recipient of this neat gift. It's made out of Upper Peninsula curly maple, which I purchased from a mill right on the shore of Lake Superior. I brought a supply down to Gainesville in September.

Thanks son.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

I wish I had enough curly maple to frame a house! :D

It is my hope that he will find it useful. That maple is tough stuff but if it breaks I can make more.

Troy
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

It's a pretty looking piece, I agree.

But really, how good will it be as a square? Wouldn't the normal expansion and contraction of the wood cause it to be off square a lot of the time?

Not being snotty with the question, it's sincere.