Mark 7

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

JPG40504 wrote:They are building machinery, not 'software'!:D
I don't know about that. Point of conjecture: with the new Power Pro and the reintroduction of the Mark 7, maybe it wouldn't be all that hard to integrate somthing like the computerized carving tools which are present on the market. COuld be something worthy of future consideration.

BPR
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

ryanbp01 wrote:I don't know about that. Point of conjecture: with the new Power Pro and the reintroduction of the Mark 7, maybe it wouldn't be all that hard to integrate somthing like the computerized carving tools which are present on the market. COuld be something worthy of future consideration.

BPR
Thats actually not a bad idea. Control of the quill would be pretty easy with a single servo or similar motor. you would need to build an X/Y table to mount under the headstock, but that is no big deal. The other big thing that would be good would be external interfacing of the speed control...but that isn't really required.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

damagi wrote:Thats actually not a bad idea. Control of the quill would be pretty easy with a single servo or similar motor. you would need to build an X/Y table to mount under the headstock, but that is no big deal. The other big thing that would be good would be external interfacing of the speed control...but that isn't really required.
See what happens once you let 'digital' get it's foot in the door!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

camerio wrote:Hi everyone, I just discovered the Mark 7 ...
Anybody thinks that there will be ways to upgrade the Mark530 to M7 ?

camerio
Quebec city area CANADA

I was told some time ago by Shopsmith customer service that an upgrade kit (Mk. V/5 to Mark 7) will be available in the future. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

camerio wrote:Hi everyone, I just discovered the Mark 7 ...
Anybody thinks that there will be ways to upgrade the Mark530 to M7 ?

camerio
Quebec city area CANADA
Yes, I have been told that I will be able to upgrade my Mark V Model 520 to a Mark 7 PowerPro. Customer Service was doubtful (had not heard of plans) that there would be a kit for upgrading a Mark V to a dual tilt but felt certain that parts would one day become available to do it that way. I don't see an advantage to a dual tilt without the PowerPro Headstock. There I go again. Noone asked about such a thing!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cwakelee
Bronze Member

Post by cwakelee »

But how would the Lift-Assist work?

Chuck Wakelee
ray1942
Gold Member

Post by ray1942 »

cwakelee wrote:But how would the Lift-Assist work?

Chuck Wakelee

I think you would only need lift assist when raising the Power Pro to drill press position. lifting the other way the head stock is much closer to the
piviot point. You most likely would have to disconnect the lift ram for the under shaper operation.

Ray1942
camerio
Platinum Member

Mark 7

Post by camerio »

easterngray wrote:I was told some time ago by Shopsmith customer service that an upgrade kit (Mk. V/5 to Mark 7) will be available in the future. Alec
Thanks Alec and Dusty for your answers. Lets hope one day I will make enough money to afford this ... althought I think a router table would be cheaper and faster to get, but the power pro head is something I can strive for once they finish tweaking it to its best. I enjoy reading you all and do not post often because sometimes I have to search for words, english is not my first language. But I am there behind the scene reading all posts and learning new words every day. Thanks guys for that and Keep on writing about my favorite tool.

camerio
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

camerio wrote:Thanks Alec and Dusty for your answers. Lets hope one day I will make enough money to afford this ... althought I think a router table would be cheaper and faster to get, but the power pro head is something I can strive for once they finish tweaking it to its best. I enjoy reading you all and do not post often because sometimes I have to search for words, english is not my first language. But I am there behind the scene reading all posts and learning new words every day. Thanks guys for that and Keep on writing about my favorite tool.

camerio
You communicated quite well there! Do not be bashful! Come on in, the water's fine!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ray1942 wrote:I think you would only need lift assist when raising the Power Pro to drill press position. lifting the other way the head stock is much closer to the
piviot point. You most likely would have to disconnect the lift ram for the under shaper operation.

Ray1942
Methinks the geometry is such that it will 'work' both ways. It will provide less assist in the 'new' direction due to that geometry. Conjecture here, I have never seen it on a 'new' M7.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝