A handy template for screwing together 2x4, 2x6 butt joints

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

A handy template for screwing together 2x4, 2x6 butt joints

Post by chrispitude »

Hi folks,

I recently made a handy printed sheet of templates to help me center the screw pilot holes for 2x4 and 2x6 butt joints:

The idea behind these templates is that you cut one out from the printout, lay it where you want to drill the pilot holes for a butt joint, then use a spring-loaded punch through the paper to mark the workpiece. These can be used for 4x4s as well - I used a 2x4 template twice to drill the four holes for my 4x4 mailbox arm:

The templates are reusable until you lose them, they get too crumpled to work with, or the hole in the paper gets too hogged out. A PDF file is attached to this message. When you print it, BE SURE TO CHANGE THE SCALE TO 100% rather than "fit to page"! You want to be sure the PDF is printed 100% to scale, rather than squeezed into the margins of your current PDF printing settings.
Attachments
2_by_butt_template.pdf
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

If you need a spring-loaded punch, this one at your local Harbor Freight would do the trick:

Item 621: Spring Loaded Center Punch

This is what I have and it works fine for my modest needs. It's normally $4.99, currently on sale for $2.99.