More Shopsmith Toys!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

foxtrapper
Gold Member

More Shopsmith Toys!

Post by foxtrapper »

Didn't mean to, wasn't even looking. But there it was on a neighbors porch with a for sale sign on it. A Shopsmith 500, the belt sander, an iron table bandsaw, two jointers, and box full of small stuff and accessories. Only thing missing weirdly was the main table top and the guard for the saw. The jointers had never even been taken out of their boxes.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Sounds like you ran across a deal that you couldn't refuse. Soo ... was it a deal and how much of a deal??
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Ah, yes. $250 for it all. Not bad. Not an amazing screamingly good deal, but fine.
fiatben
Platinum Member

You're kidding, right?

Post by fiatben »

foxtrapper wrote:Ah, yes. $250 for it all. Not bad. Not an amazing screamingly good deal, but fine.
$250?? If I found one abused SS with a single SPT for that kind of price around here, I'd not only scream with joy, I'd sell a kidney to pay for it if I had to!! (Being a woodworker on a part-time income). TWO jointers new in the box?? You've got to be kidding me.

I keep hearing guys on here coming across absolutely unbelievable deals, but I have yet to see any such thing in my search. I must be living wrong....
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fiatben wrote:$250?? If I found one abused SS with a single SPT for that kind of price around here, I'd not only scream with joy, I'd sell a kidney to pay for it if I had to!! (Being a woodworker on a part-time income). TWO jointers new in the box?? You've got to be kidding me.

I keep hearing guys on here coming across absolutely unbelievable deals, but I have yet to see any such thing in my search. I must be living wrong....
Must be folks in NW Arkansas are too savvy to give stuff away!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Then I'll not mention I bought the first Shopsmith for less than $100. I think it was $79, but I'm not certain of that, been a few years.
Woodworker200403
Bronze Member

Post by Woodworker200403 »

My Shopsmith cost me $50.00 about 4 years ago. The people didn't know what to do with it. Needed some work but that's been the fun part restoring it. Now I have a great running machine that I just keep adding to from time to time. Notting better then a good shopsmith find.
Wanderir
Silver Member

Bandsaw and Joiner

Post by Wanderir »

I just picked up a bandsaw and a scroll saw for $100 total. Almost got a joiner w/motor stand for $50 but someone else beat me to it. Had to drive 200 miles each way, but it was worth it.

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months, picked up a used 520 for $900, it's in great shape, had some missing parts, which I've obtained on Ebay. Came with a Joiner and some other extras. So far so good.

I'm sort of new to woodworking, I took a wood class in art school almost 20 years ago and have always been handy.
soggysawdust
Gold Member

Post by soggysawdust »

If you need a 500 table and fence I have one left over from when I upgraded to the 520. I even have a couple of extension tables I would be willing to let go of. I know it's a long way from Washington to Arkansas but I would like to pass these along at a good price.

Phil
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

PM sent soggysawdust.