shop aids

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

shop aids

Post by wa2crk »

Need a method for holding pen blanks when drilling? Why spend $50 to $100 busks for a fixture? Try the pen holding jig below from a few pieces of scrap plywood or whatever and use the SS sliding "T" bolts to secure it to the 520 or 510 fence. Pretty much self explanatory.

[ATTACH]9336[/ATTACH]

Did you ever get confused about what grit those little pieces of sandpaper are when you are sanding a small project? So you unfold it and find that you cut from a section of the original and the grit is no longer visible. Try the sandpaper organizer shown below. It works for me

[ATTACH]9335[/ATTACH]
Attachments
sandpaper organizer.jpg
sandpaper organizer.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
pen drilling fixture.jpg
pen drilling fixture.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Thanks for a couple of good ideas!!!
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the inexpensive jig for pen blank drilling and the sandpaper assortment holder. I use the sandpaper on rolls for my pen turning and have had some cut up in strips before and like you mentioned couldn't see what the grit was because it wasn't on the back of the cut piece. I like the pen drilling jig. I usually have done mine in the horizontal boring position with the blank clamped to my table.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
mhn1957
Silver Member

Post by mhn1957 »

wa2crk wrote: Did you ever get confused about what grit those little pieces of sandpaper are when you are sanding a small project? So you unfold it and find that you cut from a section of the original and the grit is no longer visible. Try the sandpaper organizer shown below. It works for me

[ATTACH]9335[/ATTACH]
Where do you buy the metal springs for those custom manufactured sandpaper clips?
:D
Mark
8 miles north of the Ohio River, near Portsmouth, Ohio
Shopsmith Mark V (SS-68425)
bandsaw(SS-28617), jigsaw, 4 inch jointer, belt sander
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Ace hardware should have the clothes pins.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Y'all gots a pencil in yer shop? They will write on the back of those sandpaper pieces won't they?

Looking at the front(grit) side will tell also(+- one step). A feel of the paper working is another 'indicator'. There is no magic in the numbers, the workpiece tells ya all you need to know. When in doubt, grab 'finer'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks for the shop tips, wa2crk. Neat ideas.

JPG, you are fast joining the ranks of another naysayer we all know.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.